Friday, January 16, 2009

Update on Hugh

Hey, Y'all,
Well, we spent several hours in Knoxville this afternoon. We went to the front entrance of the St. Mary's Hospital, and discovered that Hugh was still in the emergency room. The problem then was "what to do with Gramps" because he could not walk a long distance, so I kind of acted helpless when talking to the information desk people, and one of them went to get a wheelchair for me to put him into so that we could go to the emergency room which is some distance from the front entrance.

Believe me, I am pretty good with the helpless routine, so they were really anxious to help us. (Besides which, it really was a problem of what to do. I didn't want to leave him there and it was too far for him to walk).

So with the wheelchair, we proceeded to the central elevators and went to the LL2 level and I walked some good distance pushing the wheelchair till we got to the emergency room waiting area. I left him in the wheelchair and went over to the desk and got a pass to go back to see Hugh. They had not done a lot with him at that time, although he had been in there for several hours. I know they had checked his vital signs and he was resting comfortably, but had not had anything to eat. It was about 1 p.m. when we got there.

Jeff's wife, Peggy, was with them, and Jeff was having tests at another hospital concerning his vertigo which he has had problems with for some time. Not long after we got there, Mae came in. She had been dropped off by her son, Fred. Mae is our sister-in-law who is the widow of our oldest brother, Bill. She has been in our family ever since I was four years old, and is a dear friend.

Imazo was right there by Hugh, of course, and I am sure was very tired, but holding up very well. I visited with them for awhile and then came out, and let Mae go back and visit with them for awhile. Not long after that, Mae, Imazo and I decided to get a sandwich out of one of the machines that they keep in waiting areas. The sandwiches were then heated in a microwave. They weren't too bad, actually. Just a little pricey.

We saw a lot of different people waiting in the emergency area, and a great number of them were there with back problems. Very interesting.

About 4 o'clock we were told they would be taking Hugh up to a room on 3rd floor. Well, we went up and waited for over 30 minutes. We being Gramps and Mae and me. Then they finally brought him up and then someone said, "Oh, we need to take him down to 173 instead. This room was assigned to someone else". Sooooooooooooooo, back to the elevators and down two floors.

We visited with them for awhile and then we left. He was resting comfortably, and I will be going back to visit with him tomorrow. More posting after I find out more about his condition. He did not look well, but then, he is in the hospital. He is in room 173 central at St. Mary's.

More tomorrow evening. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for tonight. Love to all of you. Bye for now.


azdarlene said...

Hey Ruby,
Just read about Hugh. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Tell him the food at home is better than in the hospital. Tell him to get feeling better soon. I wish we could be out there to help.
I will try to call you tomorrow sometime.
Love to all you,
Darlene and Mark


I do so enjoy reading your blogs, full of imformation and to the point, Makes interesting reading,I hope Hugh recovers soon and is in my thoughts.
Take care.

Yvonne. TN said...

Grammy, I'm sorry to hear Hugh is in the hospital. Hope he recovers quickly and everything soon gets back to normal. Take care of yourself. (I know all about the wheel chair thing) What would we do without them?