Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Update and Life in General

Hey, Y'all,
This morning we are watching the historic events taking place today...Hundreds of thousands of people standing in the cold and freezing temperatures waiting to see the inauguration of the first Black American President of the United States.

In the meantime, we are concerned with weightier events happening in our own area. My brother, Hugh, has a heart that is growing weaker by the day. We know that his time here is drawing to a close. We have no way of knowing how close that time is. I talked with Imazo this morning. She related to me that he had a rough patch of it last night when he had difficulty breathing. The nurses came in and gave him something which helped him to breathe better, but she didn't know what it was.

His family doctor came in early this morning and told them that Hugh's heart is too weak to do a fibrilator pacemaker. He also told them that the Hospice people would come in and talk to them about health care at home when Hugh goes back home. Imazo told me that his hands are puffy this morning, and his swelling in his body has not gone down a whole lot, but some. She is still hoping that they would be sending him home tomorrow.

We could not travel to Knoxville today to visit him because of the weather. It snowed all day long here yesterday and it was beautiful. All area schools are closed today, and I think the temperatures are not due to go over 29 degrees today. It seems that some roads have ice and snow on them.

Last night was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I didn't think of getting a picture, but next time I will. Our neighbors are delightful people and we had a good supper, then Laurie (the wife) had a Bible Study to go to (which is a Monday night regular event). Scott, (her husband) and the children, Mitchell, Olivia, and Gabe, helped clear the table and I loaded the dishwasher. (Yes, girls, I do use the dishwasher occasionally for something besides draining dishes that I wash and rinse in the sink.)

We played dominos and had a lot of fun doing it. Then we played a game that they had brought with them, called "Apples to Apples". That was a lot of fun, as well. It was about 9 p.m. when they left, and walked back to their home just to the east of our house. Our houses are close enough that we can look out and see theirs, and they can do likewise. The fact that they are so close makes me feel not so alone.

Well, I will probably spend some time today working on Will's quilt, and hopefully make some progress on it, since I finished Jessie's baby's quilt.

Gramps is watching the inauguration from his bed, while I watch from my computer chair and write this new posting. I have never seen so many people in one place ever in my life of 75 and 1/2 years. It is mind boggling.

It is time to close this out and get on with something else. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Love to you all. Bye for now.


Serbian Mink said...


i called vern and relayed the info you just provided. it looks bleak, doesn't it? take care of yerself, pullleeeze!


Barbara said...

Ruby, I feel so sad about Hugh, He's in God's hands. I talk to Imazo every day, I just wish
there was more I could do.
Keep us up to date, Love, Barbara