Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Morning

Hey, Y'all,

What a beautiful morning it was! In more ways than one, it was wonderful. Gramps had finally decided he was ready to return to church on Sunday mornings. We had breakfast and readied for church.

It is difficult to describe how I felt upon entering the church. There was an inner feeling of joy in my heart, but also a great sadness, thinking of my two brothers, who had passed on during the last 30 days. I was so close to tears, that it was difficult to speak without showing my sadness. It was a momentous occasion, coming with Gramps hand in mine as we slowly made our way from the car into the church.

People were greeting us, and asking how we were, and just generally pleased to see us there, and I was feeling all these inner emotions, and it was all I could do to keep the tears from running down my cheeks. We had not been back to church as a couple since we were in Illinois with our grandson back in August. Of course, people were also speaking of how sorry they were about John's and Hugh's passing. It was wonderful, but difficult at the same time.

I thought of Imazo, and her children and grandchildren, and prayed that she was being comforted by those around her. I thought of Darlene and her children and grandchildren, and prayed also that they were being comforted by those people around her.

We went in and found a place to sit, then the music started. All three of my siblings who passed away during the past thirteen months loved music, as I do as well. I could not sing, but could only bow my head and pray as I listened to the music all around me, and think about how they must be singing praises to our Heavenly Father and His Son right now.

By the time they got to the hymn to take up the offering, I had myself composed, and was able to join in softly with the music.

Our family was a singing family. Back in the late 1930's, when we lived in Possum Valley, we would gather around on Sunday afternoons with one of the Stamps-Baxter paperback songbooks and sing the hymns that were in it. Of course, we didn't always have the tune exactly right, but that didn't stop us from singing anyway. All of us, from my Mom and Dad, to my brothers, Bill, Ralph, Hugh, John, and my sister, Margaret, and I - we all joined in and sang joyously.

In later years, my sister and I would sing while we did the dishes, she washing, and I rinsing and drying them. I hated doing the dishes, but singing seemed to make it go faster and better. She sang the alto part and I sang the melody.

It was a wonderful morning this morning, with my husband beside me, sitting and standing at the appropriate times. When the service was over, we put on our coats, and headed out the door, glad that we had once again been in the house of the Lord.

Thank you, Lord, for your comfort and love to each of us.

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for the day. Love to each of you who read this. More tomorrow. Bye for now.

1 comment: TN said...

Hi Grammy. I'm glad you were able to go to church. I feel better when I can go. I must get busy in this house. Last week, I let everything go while the boys were here. Now it's time to get back into the real world. LOL Love, Clara