Friday, February 20, 2009

Coconut PIe Recipe

Hey, Y'all,
It has been requested that I print the recipe for the coconut pie that I made the other day....so here it is.

One note before I begin the recipe: I like to use a double boiler when I make cream pies, but if you don't have one, you can just use a regular pot, just monitor carefully so that the mixture doesn't burn.

Ingredients:
Pastry for a single crust 9" pie

1 cup sweetened flaked dried coconut

1 and 1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup plus 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

2 and 1/4 cups whole milk

3 large eggs, separated

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
1. With a fork, prick bottom and sides of unbaked pastry in pan of about 1" intervals. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack.

2. In a 2 or 3 quart pan, mix 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cornstarch, milk, and egg yolks until well mixed. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens, 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut.

3. In a small bowl mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch.

4. In a deep bowl, with a mixer on high speed, whip egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until egg whites are very foamy. Add sugar-starch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, every 30 seconds, and continue to beat until meringue holds stiff glossy peaks.

5. Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling. With a spatula, spread meringue evenly to rim of pie shell.

6. Bake in a regular or convection oven at 325 degrees until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

7. Let pie cool on a rack about 3 hours. Cut into wedges and serve or invert a large bowl over pie (dont' let sides touch pie) and chill for up to one day.

ENJOY!

Oh, one more thing.. Don't wait until you have poured the pie into the shell to start looking for your mixer and egg beaters. I had to search all over my kitchen for the beaters before I remembered where I had put them. You should have seen me flipping through drawers and in the pantry trying to find them. Or maybe it is a good thing that you didn't;;;you would probably be still laughing.

Tomorrow we will be going in to Knoxville to visit with Imazo and her sisters who are coming in from Monroe county. I look forward to seeing them all again. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for tonight. Love to you all. bye for now.

2 comments:

azdarlene said...

That recipe sound real good, thank you, but mine never come out as good as the person that gave me the recipe.....could you deliver the pie already made? lol
Tell Imazo and Mae I said HI.
Love you,
Darlene

Judy said...

Thanks, Grammy. I will try this when I get a chance to get the ingredients. Yours looked just wonderful and I am sure it was. Have a good weekend.