Monday, February 23, 2009

Catchin' Up


Hey, Y'all,

Well, yesterday was a very quiet day. We woke up to snow on the ground, and didn't know what the roads were like, so we just didn't go anywhere. Gramps was happy to sleep until noon, and I was happy to kind of snuggle in as well. I looked out about 1 p.m. and a lot of the snow was melting. There was still some in the shade this morning, but it was mostly all gone by five p.m. yesterday.

I did get to chat with Teresa for a while, poor little gal, she has a stomach virus, but today I got an e-mail from her that she is feeling a little better. Thank the Lord!

This morning, I got up and cleaned the kitchen, and vacuumed the house, so it wouldn't look like it had never been cleaned. I prepared the apple dumplings to cook for tonight's supper, by peeling, and coring 7 Granny Smith apples, placing each one on a half circle of pastry, then I put some sugar, cinnamon, and butter in the center of the apple. I then folded the pastry up over the apple and baked the apples for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I prepared chicken also for tonight's supper, according to a recipe sent to me as a comment on my blog the other day. It was rubbed with miracle whip (mayo), then dipped into a mixture of grated parmesan, some ground rosemary, some dry mustard, some garlic powder and cornflake crumbs, and placed in pans and baked at 350 for 45 minutes. It was wonderful tonight.

Also, I baked some sweet potatoes for our supper, and opened some cans of green beans. Our neighbors, Scott, Laurie, and their children came for supper. Needless to say, we had a really good supper and after supper we cleared off the table and played Chicken foot with dominoes.

Oh, yes, this morning, while I was busy on the computer, Gramps came out of the bedroom wearing one of his Sunday suits. I asked him why was he wearing his suit. He told me he thought it was Sunday, so when I told him it was Monday, he said, "Oh, I guess I don't need my suit on then," and I said, 'Nope, not today."

A realization came to me recently....many of the memories that I have of growing up and in later years that I shared with my siblings and parents, are now only my memories, and there is no one left who has those same memories. I alone have those certain images and words. It is a lonely feeling. I will continue to try to convey those thoughts and images to you, my readers.

Well, it is about 11:30 and I need to get to bed. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Bye for now. (picture above is of the apple dumplings after they were baked).

3 comments:

azdarlene said...

Ruby,
The Apple Dumplings look delicious. I bet they were good.
Keep your memories of family alive, we will listen anytime.
Love ya
Darlene

Grammy said...

Hi, Sister,
Thanks for the comments...I will keep writing. Dub got up this morning and got dressed pretty early (for him). I asked why he was getting dressed so early. He replied that he was getting ready to go to work. I told him that we are retired. So he just said, Okay.
He woke up earlier (about 5:30) and said he had to get ready for school. I said, no school today, It is President's Day. He said, really, you're telling me the truth aren't you?. I said, Of course I am. So I got him back in bed for a few hours. Bless his heart. Love you all. Ruby

Judy said...

All that food you prepared sounds wonderful. Maybe gramps was getting dressed for dinner! I think it is great how much patience you have with him. I used to love to play dominoes, too.