Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Just Hangin' In There

Hey, Y'all,
A very quiet morning is here, and Gramps is still in bed. He was up early yesterday morning, saying he was getting ready to go to school to teach. I told him that it was a school holiday, and he said, "what holiday?", so I tried to distract him by telling him it could be President's Day. So he went back to bed, and a couple of hours later, he got up and started putting on his outer wear clothing and I asked him why he was getting dressed that early. He said he was getting ready to go to work. I told him, "Honey, we are retired. We don't have to go to work any more. Isn't that great?" He agreed that it was great. but he did stay up and we had breakfast together.

It seems that lately he has been focusing more and more on "going to work" in the mornings. He has been making the beds over the past week or so, and that is good. He also has been doing more in the kitchen, (putting trash in the trash can, heating a cup of coffee in the microwave) and also grazing when he feels hungry, and has gone back to daily reading of the Bible. To me that indicates a growing awareness of daily routine.

The weather was pretty enough yesterday that we were able to get out and go to Morristown and have lunch at Captain D's. We both really love the fish dinners there, and yes, I know it is greasy, but every once in a while a person needs some good greasy southern-fried fish. We don't eat there very often, so it is always a treat when we do.

Last evening, I worked on Will's quilt, still piecing together the flowers for the squares, and it is progressing very nicely. While I was working on the quilt, Gramps was watching the President speak and going through his closet looking for his black suit. After the speech was over, I watched the Republican rebuttal to the speech, and was quite impressed by the Governor of Louisiana's rebuttal.

Gramps went to bed after the speech, and I switched channels to watch Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry in "Magnum Force". That wasn't over until 1 a.m., so consequently, I was in bed this morning until 8 a.m.

Ooops, it is 11 a.m. and I hear Gramps up moving around, so I must close for now. We have plans to go into Knoxville tomorrow to spend some time with Mae and Imazo. Will report on that later tomorrow evening. I know how very lonesome they both are. I need to get Gramps breakfast and get him settled for the day. We probably will be in all day today.

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Love to you all. Bye for today.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

It is good to hear of any improvement with uncle dubby. We all love him so much. Have fun tomorrow in knoxville

Judy said...

I am glad he seems to getting into a routine. I know that makes it easier on you. We love Captain D's, too, and go there about once a month. It is kind of greasy but it sure is good! I love the fish that Cracker Barrel has on Friday, too.

Clara....in TN said...

We like Long John Silvers fish. We eat it about once a month and I always have to go get it and bring it back home. Hope you are having a good day Grammy. One day this summer, I hope I can come by and see you. Lisa and her husband are going to Central America the middle of March. I get to have the boys for seven days. I can't wait. Send pictures of quilt when finished.