Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October Begins Today


Hi, Y'all,

Yeah, yeah, I know it is superfluous to say today is the beginning of October, but I think it is good to mark it. Gramps seems to be doing a little better today. I know there will be days that are better than others. We finally got hold of someone who could schedule a physical therapist for today. She is supposed to be here at 4 p.m.

We did get a bath shower in this morning for Gramps (and for me, of course), so that may have something to do with his feeling a little better. I am keeping laundry done as it gets dirty, so that is helping some, too.

We are having a really great time with the speech therapist, Carol. She is very creative with the activities that she does with Gramps. A lot of conversational techniques make for a variety of memory activities.
There was a surprise in store for us when the nurse came to check on Gramps yesterday. She is the daughter of one of our really good friends and we have known her ever since she was a very little girl in our church. Her name is Tracy and she has been very helpful in getting things done for us. When I opened the door to her yesterday, she said, "I know you!" and of course, it had been so long since I had seen her, I didn't even know she was a nurse. It was wonderful to see Tracy again.
Believe it or not, I did not get a picture of the quilt that I made for our new great grand daughter in Texas, so I am asking my daughter out there to get a picture of it and send it to me so that I can post it for you to see. The kind of quilt I made for her is called a "love quilt" or a six-hour quilt. Supposedly, the quilt can be made in a six-hour period, but don't you believe it! They always take me longer, maybe because I take more care with it, or maybe because I am just slower than the professional seamstresses.
It is called a love quilt from the fact that many churches have ladies who make them to give to organizations like senior citizens who need a lap quilt to cover their legs or to nursing homes, or to battered women's shelters for babies or children. The quilts are very simple to make and can be quite beautiful, and can be made from remnants of cloth. The quilt is quilted as it is stitched together, so that when you have put it together it is qulted, and only has to be bound around the edges then, with binding.
Well, it is almost time for the physical therapist to be here, so I will close out for now and will maybe post some more later. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Love to you all. Bye for now.

No comments: