Monday, April 28, 2014

them Thar Yankees

                          Them Thar Yankees

Seems to me i've forever heered as how them
Fellers frum up north, above that thar Mason and Dixie
Line, is always goin' on about how they come down
Here and done whipped us all around

Robin Hood's dairy Barn, then marched off
Into the woods, a'whistlin' Yankee Doodle tunes,
Clappin' each other on the backs and laughin'
Like the sounds from in the marshlands of the loons,

A callin' to each other, when they's disturbed.
Well, now. You just listen here to how my granny
Tells it when yore a askin' her. She'll lean back
In her rockin' cheer and talk about her great-great gran'pap

'N how our brave boys out-fought them high 'n mighty
Yankees come down here tryin' ta steal our lands
And take our womenfolk right from out our hands,
Afore we knowed what they's about! But I reckon

We up and showed to them the business ends of
Our shootin' arns . And we'uns what didn't have no guns-
Well, we had swords 'n knives, 'n our bare fists. We sons
'A guns, we fit them off, bare knuckled
Brave young lads our boys wuz.

We gave lives and all we had a fightin' ta keep our dear
South free. We sent them Damned Yankees home in cardboard
Boxes. Them thet waren't daid, we sent them runnin' back
Off up North, thair tails twixt legs; bet their still runnin' hard!

Well, what's all this ruunin, you be doin' now, I ask,
Aw, shucks! I'm just down here runnin' up n' down these hills,
Practicin' for the Boston Marathon which I intend to run
And pretend I'm a Yank or Reb  a runnin' from the winner of the War!
.

'











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is the best one yet....

Blabbin' Grammy said...

And it was done with me in the hospital but don't worry. I'm on the road to recovery. Thanks for your faithful friendship.