Monday, April 27, 2015

Wants, Wishes and Work


Comment moderation is turned off. Please feel free to comment. 

We were poor, so there were no extras. Many times, food was scarce or non-existent. Mama had a "saying" for just about everything or situation .

If we expressed a want, Mama would most likely counter with, "There's a man in jail, wantin' out, too."

We knew that meant we weren't going to have whatever we had asked for. But for years, I wondered who that man was, until I realized that she meant no particular person, just anybody who was in jail.

We might say we wished something and she would say, "Put the wish in one hand and spit in the other. See which one fills up first."

Through the years, we came to realize that in order to fulfill wants and wishes, we needed to work to do so. Rarely will any thing just be handed to us on a silver platter. My Mama encouraged us to always do our best

Her saying for that was, "Things that you do, do with your might; things done by half are never done right."

Each of my siblings and I grew up with a wonderful work ethic. 

The only things that come free to us are sunshine, rain, fresh air, and God's Love, personified in the person of Jesus the Christ, if we accept Him as our personal Savior.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

and all the rest is just 'filler'

Grammy said...

Right! You got it~

jaybird said...

I grew up the same way. One of the prayers of my heart is that I could instill the same work ethic that was impressed upon me and my siblings, in my three girls. Hard in this generation to find any kids that understand what it means to have to work for something. They have instant gratification in their finger tips. They don't even know what it's like to have to research information. They wait for nothing.

And AMEN to our free gifts; praise God for giving us His son and His grace!

Grammy said...

Amen for sure, Jaybird! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Great post! So true.

Grammy said...

Thank you, Anne Marie!