Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Relativity of Relatives

Comment moderation is off. Please feel free to comment. 
 
The relativity of relatives has changed over the last forty years, or perhaps even longer ago than that.

What I'm trying to verbalize is the fact that since the fluidity of society has increased, cousins no longer necessarily grow up in the same town, city, or even state.

They no longer have that closeness of seeing each other more often than one week out of the year, or perhaps not even that much.

Close family members ( brothers and sisters) move to other places because of work demands. I have cousins that I was once close to, both in proximity and activities. Not so much any more.. 

(And some of them have passed on through the years) Some I haven't laid eyes on in years; don't even know if they are still living, in fact.

I still love them, but what can we talk about other than "Old Times", and reminisce about who married who, and was that five kids they had or was it six...

If it were not for " Social media " even the amount of staying in touch that we do now, would be lost to many.

In the final analysis, it's all relative, isn't it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I moved away from the majority of my extended family two years ago--super hard. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I came from a strange strange family that just didn't keep in touch with cousins aunts uncles etc....I have one Aunt left and I hear from her once or twice a year...never hear from my cousins. We try to be a constant in our grandkids lives.

Grammy said...

Anne Marie, I moved away from where I had lived the majority of my life, five years ago, but it was to where my oldest daughter and her family live, so I guess you could say it was a trade off and a bonus as well.

Delores, mine was a fairly close knit family. I do have regrets that I didn't go more often to see my parents, even though I only lived three miles or so away from them. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....