Friday, April 17, 2015

Old at 82?

Comment moderation is turned off. Please feel free to leave comments. Thank you. 

Back when I was a kid, when someone reached the age of 65 or 70, they were considered to be really old, and, behaved so.  But even so, they lived with family until they were called to die.

Now, however, the number of people living into their 90's, is becoming quite common.

In fact, in the ladies' Sunday School class that I teach, seven or eight of them are older than I am (81). The oldest is 95 and is still driving. The majority of them live alone, but some live with family.

Both of my parents lived at home until they died in the hospital. My sister, Margaret, who never married, was their caregiver.

As for me, I am blessed in still being able to be on my own, paying my own bills, still driving, making my own decisions. I have no idea how long that will continue, but like most all seniors most likely do, dread the time when it is bound to change unless God sees fit to take me home first. I am very aware that it could change at any time. 

If I did become disabled, who knows what would happen? Not I. I can only trust that my children would see that I am cared for.

Many of America's seniors face untenable situations in their daily lives . They live in nursing homes that are just holding pens comparable to cattle way stations. A fortunate few are in upscale places, but not with family, as they used to be. They are still just waiting, mostly.

Times have changed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Times have changed indeed...and not for the better. I cringe whenever I see news stories about conditions in nursing homes. Horrifying.

Grammy said...

Yep, I've had personal experience with at least five with loved ones. Not good, even though some of the personnel are really good, they are underpaid and overworked.

jaybird said...

I had to smile when I read you are still teaching Sunday school. I teach the two and three year old class in my church and that age just cracks me up. They are so precious at that tender age. But boy do those kiddos wear me out!! I can't imagine still teaching when I'm in my 80's.

You are very blessed to be able to keep on living and driving and doing everything on your own. I don't imagine I will give up my independant nature no matter what age I am, and having to let go of those freedoms, I can already project will be quite hard for someone like me.

Thanks for visiting my blog the other day. I love your spirit Granny!!

Grammy said...

Thank you, Jaybird! I'm also a retired elementary school teacher and librarian. Until recently, when it became difficult to stand for a long time, I sang in our church choir. I miss that.

Lynn Proctor said...

very cool that you are still teaching ss---my mom taught a ladies class until she was probably mid eighties---now her sister my aunt teaches the class

Grammy said...

Hey, Lynne,
One of my very favorite things is sharing Jesus with others. It is a grave responsibility to teach others, being careful to never say anything that is misleading. Thanks for sharing with me.