Monday, November 1, 2010

A Memorial Service

Hey, Y'all,
Last week I received a letter from Bishop Davies Nursing Home informing me that they were holding a memorial service to honor those residents who had passed on during the last twelve months, and inviting me to come and attend it, along with anyone else who was interested in doing so. So, I went, not knowing exactly what to expect.

When I arrived, several people were gathered in wheelchairs in the parlor not far from the front entrance to the nursing home, so I found it easily. There were several empty chairs placed in front of those people in wheelchairs, and placed in a semicircle. Part of the assemblage flowed into the room behind the parlor, and I am sure that most of those in the wheelchairs were residents.

Promptly at ten-thirty a.m., a lady began playing the organ which was in the front part of the parlor, and there were three priests (at least I think they were all of the Catholic persuasion, because they all had black outfits on with the collar turned backwards. First was a Father MacIntrye who gave the most of the program. He led us in some songs, and then read a prepared speech (which he kind of got mixed up in reading, because he had two of the same pages printed off, but that was okay). Then the three of them took turns reading the names of the dearly departed, and of course, Dub's last name beginning with a Y, came last, but that was what I expected, you know. It was quite a lovely service, and we ended with the Lord's Prayer recited together and with singing "a rousing cheerful song...one that we used to sing, marching to the seminary, I mean cemetery" (his words). The song he meant was "Marching to Zion" and we sang it well.

There is something so sweet and touching about looking around a room filled with seniors who mostly don't have long left on this earth, and seeing and hearing them sing to the Lord, and knowing that many of them know the Lord. There is also the knowledge that some of them probably don't know the Lord, and until they make that important decision to place their trust in Him through acknowledgment of their sins and need of Him, they have no hope of entering Heaven. It would have been nice to have heard the Priest speak of that instead of him saying that all of them could look forward to peace on the other side. He really missed his chance there.

After I left, I thought, "the least they could have done was to have refreshments for that kind of gathering". If it had been a Southern Baptist gathering, I'll bet there would have at least been coffee and cookies! I did stop at Chic-fil-a and had half a wrap along with half a chocolate milk shake for my lunch.

Well, after a while, I need to get into my little red car and head to the Cardiology place and get my last test done. Yahooo! It is supposed to be relatively easy.

Tomorrow is my appointment with a new family doctor. I still have some paperwork to finish filling out for that one. I began it yesterday and decided I would finish it this afternoon. Speaking of filling out paperwork, I got a Community Survey from the census bureau wanting me to answer a LOT of questions, so I got it filled out this morning, but still haven't dropped it into the mail.

Did you ever scrape your shin on a piece of brick? It really hurts, let me tell you. My fireplace in the living room has one of these raised areas surrounding it that is composed of bricks, and as I was walking past it last week, my leg got a little close to it, and ouch! it scraped it nicely (or I should say, badly). Anyway, it is taking it a while to heal up. But I think it is going to be okay. I didn't put anything on it for at least 24 hours and I probably should have, you know? It is not hurting or anything and is looking fairly smooth now.

Well, it is about time for me to make a last minute pit stop and brush through my hair one more time so I will look presentable. Speaking of appearance, yesterday I wore a denim dress and a denim shirt and my little purple cap that is in my picture here with Gramps, and I had on my purple checked tennies. I stopped at LePeep for a salad lunch after church, and I got the senior size serving which costs less. Well, when I went up to the counter to pay for it, I thought it wouldn't be over $5.50, so I had that amount out to pay for it. The girl said, "that will be 6.49". So, I began to dig in my change and pulled out pennies and dimes, and when I had pulled out about 75 cents or so, she said, "that's okay, I've got the rest of it." I tried to give the pennies and dimes and nickels to her, and she said, "you keep that, I've got it." So, I just said, "thank you" and left. I think maybe I just looked poor to her, and she had a kind heart. Who knows what she was thinking? I certainly don't. But I appreciate her kindness.

It was a little embarrassing for me, but that is not the first time something like that has happened to me, and may not be the last, who knows?

Well, this is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Much love to each of you. More later. bye for now. Gotta go not get lost. Ha ha.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are getting all your doctors and tests sorted out and over with. I love chic-fil-a. One of my favorite places for chicken sandwiches. Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

Well I'd have thought they'd have refreshments too! lol
Sounds like your days are full and you're getting those Dr. visits and tests out of the way. Praying that the results will all come back good for ya Ruby.
And what a blessing to have such an understanding person in the restaurant! God seems to place the right people at the right place doesn't He?
Hugs and blessings my friend,
Deb

Patricia Stoltey said...

Ruby, it sounds like the memorial service was lovely. But yes, I think refreshments would have been a nice touch. Maybe that's from growing up in a farm community where food was part of the comforting process.

The sweet girl at LePeep was being kind. We don't need to understand her reasons. If more folks followed her lead, our world would be a better place. It was a random act of kindness, and that's a blessing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Baptists know how to eat, don't they? That was nice of them to do a memorial service. But you're right - the priest missed an opportunity.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful read Ruby,

There is an award for you at my blog.
Yvonne.

myletterstoemily said...

dear ruby,

i love your sweet post so much. that
sounds like a lovely tribute to your
husband, even though they didn't have
snacks like baptists do!

sorry about the brick scrape. i pray it
continues healing nicely.

thanks for the precious turtle story at
my blog. adorable!

Unknown said...

Hi Ruby! Hope your new doctor works out well for you, that can be a bit unsettling, I'll say a prayer that the appointment goes well.

Yes, I would think that the least they could have done was offer some coffee and cookies. More importantly, I would have been disappointed at the message from the priest, giving false hope to all present even though many likely don't claim Jesus. That would make it seem as if it were a free ticket, which couldn't be further from the truth! Very sad.

Sorry to hear about your scrape, I suffered a bad burn last week too which is still healing.

Hope everything else is going well. We have had a busy week this past one so I'm just getting back to visiting and commenting on my favorite blogs!

Blessings to you!
Trudy