Monday, November 15, 2010

Back Yard Observations

Hey, Y'all,
Well, it sometimes is kind of difficult to think of a title for a posting, but I saw something out back while ago that I thought was interesting. I saw a cat that has been in the yard several times before. It is a tabby cat, and quite beautiful, but this time there were two black and white kittens with her. They are breathtakingly beautiful, and when the mama looked up, the kittens disappeared in a flash. I think they went under the low deck in the yard.

A little while later, I saw the kittens in almost the same place as before, but the mama was not with them. She may have been looking for food (she won't be finding any on my back deck). They all looked pretty healthy so I know they don't need me feeding them. The kittens are black almost all over, except for some white on the face, and white around the necks and front (all that I could see with them lying on the ground, partly sitting up.)

Carol remarked the other day that the leaves are turning beautifully, and that, although they don't compare with leaves back in Eastern Tennessee and surrounding area, it is about all we are going to get here. I noticed while driving to church yesterday that, yes, they do look reasonably pretty the way they are changing, but we don't have the brilliant reds here in the leaves. That is okay.

Carol and Daryl had invited me to travel with them to Illinois to spend Thanksgiving with their son, Daniel, and wife, Whitney and the four grandchildren. I considered it quite seriously, and after much thought and deliberation, decided it would be more stress than I wanted, so have declined the offer. I just don't feel up to it. I will miss the time with my grandchildren, Dan and Whit, and the great grands, but look forward to seeing them when they can come down this way. Sorry to disappoint, kids. I know Carol worries about my being alone, but I am a big girl and if I were in Tennessee, I would probably be spending Thanksgiving alone, anyway. Everyone else there has family that they spend that day with, as it should be.

Dub and I used to go out for Thanksgiving dinner to Shoney's or somewhere else, because I quit cooking a big meal for just the two of us. Last Thanksgiving,though, we had dinner with our neighbors, the Benjamins. That was really fun. She and I both cooked, and I was still recovering from my gall bladder surgery gone bad. In fact, I am still somewhat in recovery from that.

Well, that is about it for today. I am still in my gown and housecoat, and had been listening to the wind blowing outside and causing the wind chimes to make their tinkling sounds. How very pleasant that is! I had some soup for a late lunch that Carol had made yesterday. When I went to their home for lunch yesterday, she had a big pot of tomato basil soup. and it is so delicious. She gave me the recipe for it and I will be making it sometime this fall and winter, I am sure. I'm sure it can be frozen. She gave me enough of it for my lunch today. Yum!

Ben and Emily (newly weds - Carol and Daryl's daughter), came over yesterday and had a late lunch with us and we played some dominoes until it was time for departure for home. It is always fun to spend time with young people (and older people too, ha).

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Well...even if you don't go to Illinois, you will still have lots of family there for thanksgiving! I think you have probably made a good decision...you have never enjoyed "riding" that much anyway. Love you bunches!

Barbara said...

Oh I bet you will be getting plenty of invites to Thanksgiving dinner.You have a bunch of kin folks still there.Tenn. has been pretty this year,beautiful colors.We are getting some much needed rain right now.Have a good night,love Barbara

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I'm sure you will have a good Thanks giving Day, hope you are keeping well,
Take care.
Yvonne.

Margie's Musings said...

How did your tests come out, Ruby? You never said.

Arlee Bird said...

Back in the 80s when I was working on the road we would usually go out to eat if we weren't near my mother's house. We found a nice buffet outside of Nashville that became a tradition every year.
This year I'll be cooking dinner like I have for the past 15 years or so.
All the best to you, Ruby.

Lee
Tossing It Out