Saturday, November 13, 2010

An Evening of Fun

Hey, Y'all,
Over the last couple of days I've been busy filing business papers that have collected over the past four months since my husband's passing on. I guess you know how bills and letters come into the house and you take care of the payment of them, but just kind of put the receipts and other correspondence in a folder for later filing. Well, that is what I had been doing and realized the other day that the time had come to file them all.

I got that taken care of finally (all of it) yesterday and today, at Wal-mart I got a couple of file boxes to put the ones into that I need to weed out and put into a separate place called storage in the garage. Ha. I know that there are some really old ones that need to be shredded. I would hate to pass on and leave a lot of papers that the girls had to make decisions about.

Anyway, to get on to what my blog title is about - yesterday evening, Carol and Daryl came by the house for me, and we all went to spend the evening with some friends of theirs (and now my friends as well). Mike and Brenda, with three children: Rachael, Matthew and Daniel, welcomed us into their home and we were soon chatting and visiting. We sat down to a delicious meal prepared by Brenda. Yum! We had some very tender roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, a fluffy concoction of apples and other things combined, along with some gigantic parker house rolls that were so yummy I could have eaten them all evening, but restrained myself. Carol brought some of her chocolate eclair dessert, which was followed by a couple of games as we sat around the table.It would be impossible to tell you exactly how much we enjoyed the whole evening. Nine o'clock came too quickly and we had to leave. I look forward to seeing them tomorrow in Sunday school class. We did a lot of laughing, and those of you who know me personally know how much I love to laugh. I wound up the evening just as we were leaving, telling them about what happened in a class I was taking as a student at Carson Newman, back in the early 1960's.

I was in a speech class and we had to each tell a joke. Well, one of my friends told me, "Ruby, I'm afraid no one will laugh when I tell my joke, so I want you to be sure and laugh when I tell it." So she told me the joke and I promised I would laugh when she told it. When she started telling the joke, I was listening along with every one else (I had forgotten the joke) and then when she was almost through, all at once I remembered the punch line, and started chuckling, not loud, but because the room was quiet while she was telling the story, a few around me heard me, and the first thing I knew, she was laughing and the class was as well. When I laugh, I shake with laughter, and it just took over. She thanked me later because the whole class was laughing by the time it was over. I don't remember if she got it finished or not, but there was plenty of laughter. So she got her wish.

Yesterday afternoon, I grew weary of waiting to hear from the doctor's office about my blood work report, so I finally called the office. Well, the nurse told me that the doctor has to look at the report before she could tell me what it said. Duh! I guess that she could want me to come in to see her (the doctor, that is), but it seems like the least the nurse could do was to tell me about what was on the report. Anyway, she did tell me that my potassium numbers are better after my cessation of taking the potassium capsules.

I reckon I'm doing okay, since I'm feeling all right. My sleep is going okay, too. I am actually beginning to look forward to bedtime. The weather is beginning to head toward winter, I think perhaps autumn here in Texas doesn't last very long, and just slides into winter. I am trying to get my heat system here adjusted to my liking.

Today is the birthday of my sister-in-law (more like a real sister to me), Mae,who is 91 years young today. She is a beautiful lady, both in heart and appearance. I have known her ever since I was four years old and she married my oldest brother, Bill. So basically I have known her all my remembered life. She is a big sister to me, and has been a confidante to me for a long time. I love her dearly, and miss her. Happy Birthday, Mae!

Well, that is about it for today. Rest tonight, Sunday school and church tomorrow. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. More later. Bye for now.

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Pleased you're having plenty of fun, laughter makes the world go round.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Yvonne.

Margie's Musings said...

Laughter also helps keep you healthy, Ruby. So continue to laugh.