Friday, April 29, 2011

Yielding and Yellow

Hey, Y'all,
Did you ever notice how difficult it is to Yield? The stronger our will, the more difficult it becomes, I believe. When you come to one of those little triangular signs along the highway, do you ever just plow ahead without looking back to your left (usually the left) and think, "Oh, I can beat whatever is coming"?

I think the first time I ever came across the word was in the song, "Yield Not to Temptation", and then later when I was reading stories about Robin Hood, where he was fighting with a sword or with a cudgel, and had the other fellow down, he would say, "Yield, you varlet!" Of course, he meant for the fellow to give up, to cede victory and to just generally quit fighting before he had to kill him. 

In the days of the old west, you were considered a "yellow-belly coward" if you didn't "draw" your six-shooter when challenged.

We usually find temptation is the easiest thing to yield to, don't we? It is the easiest path to take and causes the most pain to us and to others.

Like over two billion other people this morning, in the early hours, I watched a young woman marry the future king of England and wondered to how much she would have to yield in order to live the life ahead of her. I do not envy her, do you?

As humans, we have a strong sense of self and a lot of will-not within us. We find it difficult to yield, but discover that in order to live peaceably among others, we have to learn to yield sometimes. And of course, to become a Christian means that we must willingly yield our will and our lives to Christ. That is the sweetest yielding of all.

Speaking of the color yellow, one could not miss the Queen of England this morning. Her yellow attire stood out like the single candle on a birthday cake, did it not? I can not wear yellow because of my olive complexion, but she certainly looked smashing in it, did she not? 

Well, that is about it for today. One more day of the A to Z Challenge, and although I didn't get around to a lot of other blogs, I intend to eventually get around to them, a few at a time, when I am not so pushed for time. This has been so much fun! Thanks to all of you who have been so faithful to come and see me. 

This is Blabbin' Grammy, signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later. 



8 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I can't wear yellow either, Ruby. I look jaundiced in it.

I didn't watch the wedding. I have no interest in the royal family or their doings.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Enjoyed reading your Y letter post.Been watching the Royal Wedding so am all behind with my blogging.

Take care.
Yvonne,

Julie said...

Yellow is not my favorite color but I do wear it once in awhile but look like death warmed over when I do.
I have been reading your A-Z everyone once in a while, I'll admit I don't get around like I did this past year but I have lurked here and there.
Take care Ruby and have a great day. God bless you my friend.

Sharon Reece said...

Yielding is probably one of the most important things in life. It is the key to compromise, but I will be the first to admit that I have often found it hard. But I find it easier to yield to my Savior than to people - I guess because I have learned from life's circumstances that it is the only way to go! Even then I still often put up a fight, don't you?

I enjoyed reading your post. I didn't follow the royal wedding since we don't have a TV but I'm sure it was lovely.

Sharon (another A to Z blogger)
http://grandmaisawriter.blogspot.com

Petra said...

I'm glad to have met you. I like your style! Blessings!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The reason so many people yield to temptation is that while opportunity merely knocks on the door, temptation leans on the doorbell!

Luana Krause said...

Great Choice for "Y"...imagine how awful the world would be if no one yielded or compromised...it would be like the Dr. Seuss story about the south-going Zax and the north-going Zax. Neither one would budge an inch.

Lisa said...

I really like your Y post, you put it all together so nicely. I saw bits here and there of the wedding.