Friday, April 22, 2011

Some Stressful Scenarios Concerning Seniors

Hey, Y'all,
Here is a look at events from a senior's viewpoint in particular:  Some Stressful Scenarios for Seniors...

Taking medications and not being sure which ones you have or have not taken (this is solved with a pill minder, mostly) but have you ever dropped one of them and not been sure which one it was, and then couldn't locate any of them on the floor? That way you don't know which it was that you dropped. You get down on your hands and knees to look for it with a flashlight, then if you do find it, you have trouble getting back up to your feet. If you don't find it, you just hope it was a vitamin instead of a necessary pill.

You're in the tub, naked as a Jaybird (ever wonder why a Jaybird is more naked than any other bird? Why not naked as a Robin or a Hummingbird? ) and all at once you feel your feet slipping and there's nothing to hang onto, even with those little grabby things you put in your bathtub floor to make it less slippery? Those are not a whole lot of help when you have shampoo suds in the tub. 

You know a bill is soon to be due and you're not sure if you have received it yet, and you look over your entire domicile and can't find any evidence of it. You check through your check book and see it hasn't been paid...where is it...did it come in the mail yet..or not? 

You are talking to a friend, and are about to tell them a funny thing that happened, and all at once, you forget the name of something or someone that you have known for years, and it's like you've never known it...it's gone.

You are on the verge of getting out of bed, and realize you are on the edge of the bed (closer than you thought) and literally nearly roll out of bed, with nothing to grab onto. Ha.

You've been married for years, then all at once, your mate is no longer with you, someone you've depended on, someone you've been able to share things with, and now...what? You awake alone and when you hear a sound, you realize you are the one making the sound. 

What happens when one can no longer drive, and get around on their own? What if there is no money for a retirement community? Then what? Talk about a scary scenario! For more reasons than one.


As for the scenario of what happens if one does fall and break a leg or a hip, we won't go there, because I have been down that road with my sister and my husband, and it isn't a pretty road...and is perhaps the scariest of all...


Well, as usual, this post just kind of wrote itself, and I didn't control the route it took, it just happened. Those are just a few of the scary scenarios in the life of seniors.  I'm headed for the local library later today, a pleasant journey for sure, and I also have to work on learning the music for our Easter music. We have a two hour rehearsal at the church tomorrow. 


One more scary scenario concerning seniors - winding up with nothing to occupy their hands or their minds - don't let that happen to anyone you love, or to yourself, either. 


This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my goodness...I'm there. I'm there!
How about mislaying the glasses and needing them to find them!!!!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I'm part of the way Ruby, especially being on my own and waking up all alone, I have dropped pills or can't remember if I've taken the correct dose.

I hate to dwell on if I hurt myself in a fall,.......I don't want to think of that.

Enjoyed the read.
Yvonne.

Sylvia said...

I can see the latter scary scenario in my dad. The moment he stopped working he lost interest in anything else, never trained his mind or did anything else for that matter. Very sad :(

I really loved reading your post, and I am a new follower through the A to Z challenge.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some of that is really sad, Ruby.
And some of it I do already!

Margie's Musings said...

I'm there too. I have a lot to do. I need to paint the patio floor, paint the framework of my patio and strip the wallpaer from mmy kitchen and repait the kitchen. I'm not sure I need to be on a ladder though.

But it has to be done and I'm the only one to do it.

Mom B said...

Thanks for the insights. I know we can't fix all these things, but I hope having people around who love you can make all this as easy as possible!

Grammy said...

Hi, Oh yeah, I forgot about the getting on stepladders...I don't do that anymore than just one step because of dizziness from being on so many medications, and the mislaying of glasses or cell phone.
Carol, I didn't write this to remind you of any of them or to lay any guilt on you. I just needed something for my "S" day and always try to write about something I know about. I appreciate my family for all the wonderful way they take care of me.
Margie, if I were close by to you, I would do my best to help you with the painting and all that. I love to do that kind of stuff.
I was up this morning at 3:30 and went back to bed at 6 and slept until 9 this morning. That is the only nice thing right now that I can think of about being alone...not having to worry about another person being awake and needing me.
Love,
Ruby

Petra said...

Growing old is not for sissies. I've told my mom that so many times, and now I'm beginning to see how true that is. I love your positive and humorous demeanor. God bless you, this Good Friday!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have always believed that two things age a person quicker than anything else, and they aren't physical ailments. They're social isolation, and a lack of mental stimulation. As a person in my thirties, I hope that we will treat our elderly citizens with much more respect for their emotional needs in the future, and address those with the same care that we show in our physical care of the elderly.

Marjorie said...

I am really glad you blogged about this today. It's important for the younger generation to realize what seniors go through.

Grammy said...

Hi, all of you,
My girls and family take wonderful care of me, and look after my needs quite well. I have no complaints, believe me. I was simply stating so many of the things that I know many senior citizens are concerned with. I know that many seniors have no one to make sure that their needs are met. Thank you all for your wonderful comments
Love, Ruby

Gujjari said...

Nice to see you in the A2Z blogging challenge.

Nice post which shows reality and insight. But we have to accept and love them.

I am following your blog.

Please stop by my blog and if you like please follow it.

With warm welcome,

http://mydaughtersdreams.blogspot.com