Thursday, April 7, 2011

Finaglin'

Hey, Y'all, 
Right now, you may be asking, (or maybe not, ha) "What in the heck is finaglin' (fuh-nay-glen)"? Well, now, a finagler is one of these people who can work people around to give them what he wants, without that person realizing that he has been "worked" or finagled. One definition is that a finagler is one who uses trickery to deceive another to cheat him out of something. The question for today is: are you a finagler? Do you really work at it? Are you good at it? 

Whether you realize it or not, we begin as children learning to finagle, when we watch others figure out how to get what they want. Another title that we give a finagler is "con artist". I've seen kids con their parents to get something that they want. It is one of those traits that are glorified by kids on sit coms. It irritates the hooey out of me, to see them behave in such a manner, and to know that so many children watching them are influenced.  

Unfortunately, it is a part of our human nature to try to con or finagle people when we want something from them, isn't it? We try persuading by words, or bartering, to influence someone else to give us willingly something we want that they possess. Have you ever observed that? Or maybe done that? I am pretty sure that I have. 

Well, that is it for today. I never know where I am going for sure with a subject when I begin it. I just kind of let the ideas and the words flow. I was going to write about Fun, but I thought this subject would be more unique. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family.  Welcome to all my new friends as well. Thank you all for stopping by, and I hope you'll be back. Bye for now. More later.

12 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Another great post Ruby, I feel I know you personally after all this time.

Have a good day,
Yvonne,

Unknown said...

I call it manipulative.. LOL... BUt what a good word for this post...

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I remember this word being used a lot by adults when I was a kid. It was fun to see it again!

Petra said...

That was some fun readin' 'bout 'finaglin'!

Marjorie said...

Yes, kids are master finaglers! I always said even babies do it!

Golden Eagle said...

"Finagle"--it's a great word! I enjoyed reading this post about finagling; although finagling itself isn't such the greatest thing. :P

FilmMattic said...

Haha funny post, Grammy! Love saying the word "finaglin'" but never use it. Nice description.

Anonymous said...

Finaglin...one of my fav words. ;-)

Margaret Hall said...

Yes, yes...I have finagaled like crazy..Began with finagaling an extra cookie from my Mom...lol...Con artist?..sounds like a bad person, but guess that a finagler is just that...lol.Loved your "F" postin'...
See you for "G"...

http://timeforabucketlist.blogspot.com/
http://imagesinthought.blogspot.com/
http://the-old-story-tree.blogspot.com/
http://bagladythoughts.blogspot.com/

Tori Cooper said...

New word to add to my personal dictionary... :-D

Anonymous said...

I love that word: finaglin'. Thanks!

Stratoz said...

great a to z. like everything else I guess there is a range of finagle in us. some more than others. will keep an eye on myself for now and see where I fall into the spectrum. have a great weekend.