Saturday, April 9, 2011

Houses vs. Homes

Hey, Y'all,
Well, I don't know how many of you, my fellow bloggers will be using one of these words for your "H" word, but probably quite a few. I always try to come up with a  unique one, but today I am going to  use house and home. 

In my lifetime, I have lived in several houses, and they have always become a home. I believe that what makes a house to be homelike is the residents' adaptability and willingness to make it a home, don't you? If there is discontent and disharmony within the walls, it's not a home, it's a house (or it could be an apartment). Just less than a year ago, I moved into a house that has become a home, and it has taken and is still taking adjustments, but I am happy here. 

There is no discontent here, and there is no one here to be disharmonious with, except myself, and I'm almost always a happy individual. There was some disharmony this morning at four a.m. when I was awakened by the insistent chirping of a battery alarm on the wall outside my room. It seemed to be connected to the fire alarm near my garage door. I pressed on the button on the fire alarm where Carol had told me to if it ever started making sounds. Well, don't you know, it started making a loud klaxon sound that was ear piercing and I kept pushing buttons till it finally stopped. If we had been near the cemetery it probably would have wakened the dead. (I'll bet it woke up a few neighbors. ha)

Anyway, that sucker is going to have to have some disconnecting done or someone is going to have to come up with a solution to that problem. Fer shure, and I ain't jokin', folks!

It's all about attitude, when it comes to having a home. And I reckon maybe all of you know that, so I'm not just whistlin' Dixie here. Now, I reckon maybe, I'll just head to bed and see if I can grab a few more "Zees". It is still only 5 a.m. Goodnight, y'all. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. More later. Bye now. 

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Good night Grammy, sleep tight.

You are right, I think many write about home, at least I did;) I want to be light and easy because I feel I had been pushing my 'zees' too hard.

I see whatcha sayin' about a house and a home.

Grammy, I did not receive your friend request but I did send you my friend request. Did you get it?

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hi Ruby there certainly is a difference between a house and a home. Home is where the heart is.

Have a great week-end;
Yvonne.

Unknown said...

i almost wrote about home...

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

What a delightful surprise to stumble on your blog! As Arnold Schwartzenegger said, "I'll be back!"

Grammy said...

Hi, Y'all,
I meant to put in a quote, and thought I would just do it now. I once read this definition of home:
"Home is where, when you go, they have to take you in." I don't remember who wrote it, but as they say, "Man, that's deep."

Grammy said...

Ha, I couldn't rest until I looked it up in a quotation dictionary! Robert Frost in "Death of a Hired Man" said, "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."
There you have it. Ruby

Grammy said...

Ocean Girl, yes, I got your request and confirmed it. We are now facebook friends. Glad to have you as one!
Ruby

Gregg Metcalf said...

I have loved everywhere we have lived, from the first home my new bride and I had (8X19) travel trailer to a one car garage converted into a one bedroom studio to a brand new 1800 sq foot 2 car garage fenced in corner lot from CA to NC to SC to CA to NV to CA to WA. My wife has always made every house, trailer, garage into a home.
Gregg Metcalf
Colossians 1:28-29

Gospel-driven Disciples

Ju Dimello said...

Oh Grammy, I hope everything was alright! And that you got some proper sleep for all the noise making fire alarms..

I sat through around one hour of false alarm in our apartment and it was a nightmare! But it's a necessary evil too!

Houses and Homes - That's really a heart warming topic.. something I always think about!!!!

Unknown said...

Right now I'm living in a house, not a home. I would like to have a home one day.

Trisha said...

I love homes! :) I even love MY current home, though I want a new house to make my home!

Laura Brown said...

I don't feel like I've ever had a house or home of my own. Whether living with my parents or my husband or a roommate, none of them felt like they were mine. I've moved a lot too and a real home is something I would like to have.

Laura
http://wordgrrls.com

Julie said...

My house is my home and it's filled with love and happiness and more. I love your post Ruby. Also thank you for writing me the other day. Grandma is doing really well most days. With me she can be and she has her moments but I'm there with my shoulder for her and her for me.
Take care Ruby and have a blessed night sleep.

Margaret Hall said...

Time has passed, I am still late in playin' 'catch-up'...but, I am hopin' that you got caught up on your sleep and it was peaceful...
Makin' a house a home, even a trailer home is what one puts into it as you said..We could very well just have a 'room' in a house and make it cozy and comfortable! I think that we should have friends to our homes, too, to enjoy the fun-filled times...Love your H...
Now on to I....