Monday, April 18, 2011

Optimism and Obstinancy

Hey, Y'all,
Well, we are on the right hand side of the A to Z Challenge, and I am optimistic that we are going to finish well, aren't you? It is so very good for our brain cells to search for topics, because it stretches the imagination to do so. Of course, that is today's choice of topics for me. 


Optimism is a wonderful characteristic to have, I believe. Sometimes it is good to be like the little engine that could. 
My good friend, Ina Ray, who now is being treated for breast cancer, and I had a joke about "I've got it, I've got it, I don't got it." You see, we were working at a Pow-Wow in Knoxville with the East TN Indian League, and we had a big container of stuff that we had to carry. I was trying to carry it, and I was saying, "I've got it, I've got it....Oops, I don't got it," and laughing, because I had to let go of the box. Ms. Ina, keep on believing..."I can do it, I can!"...and know that I am praying for you...I love you, friend.

You see, it is a family characteristic in my family to be not only optimistic but obstinate (also called determined, or bull-headed), and we don't give up easily. I think maybe that came from my half-Cherokee grandmother, who, after losing her husband to pneumonia in Texas, came back to Tennessee with seven children to support and provide for. 

She took in washing and ironing, she could not read and write, but she was a determined and strong lady. Each of her children, until the two youngest, quit school after finishing the fifth grade and went to work in the hosiery mill in Loudon, Tennessee. Even the two youngest went to work when they finished school. There were no slackers in that family. They brought their paychecks home and gave them to Grandma. Working together, they survived.

My mom was among those that quit school after finishing the fifth grade. She (along with my dad) raised six children who knew what is was like to keep on keeping on. I am the last surviving sibling, and I'm as stubborn as they come. (Just ask my kids. ha) My daughters know how to work, and have my same brand of optimism and obstinancy. We don't know the words, "I can't". Mom had an expression for that. (She had an expression for almost every situation, ha) She said, "I can't never did do anything, and never will."  

Well, folks, that is it for today. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you my friends, and family. Bye for now. More later. 


9 comments:

Lisa said...

Good words Ruby, made great by your own examples. Thank you for sharing, this will be my inspiration of the day.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

You show so much inspiration to others Ruby Thank you,
People have said I'm obstinate but if I know i'm right without a shadow of doubt I will stick to my guns.

Have a lovely day,
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You ARE optimistic, Ruby!

Brianna said...

I come from a completely opposite background. Rather than face tough times with optimism, my family turned to cynicism. It's a challenge to be optimistic for me, but it's worth the extra effort. Remembering that the Lord is always by my side helps me to stay optimistic and I will do my absolute best to instill an optimistic outlook in my daughter!

It's great to meet you Grammy! I followed Arlee Bird's link here and am so glad that I did. Since I am not surrounded by optimists in real life, I like to surround myself with as many optimistic blogging buddies as I can :)
Brianna

Marjorie said...

My grandma says, "Can't never did nothin'!" It's bad grammar but it means the same thing.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

My grandmother used to say, "Can't never won the race." Her husband died early on and left her with a whole houseful of kids to raise by herself. But she never complained. Just did what had to be done.

Nicole said...

Optimism seems to be in your genes. Optimism combined with determination can be a very powerful force when dealing with the ups and downs that life brings. You seem to have come from, and continue to manage a wonderful family.

I believe that those that have Optimism as a family characteristic are very blessed because it is a characteristic that brings greatness into the lives of those that have it and the lives of those surrounding a family with this type of characteristic.

More power to you and yours! :)

The Madlab Post

The Yard Bard said...

My husband is the other kind of optimist; he's sure it'll all go wrong. I regularly have to threaten to poke him with a stick until he says something positive. ;)

Grammy said...

Hey, Y'all,
Thanks for all the great comments! I so appreciate each of you, and look forward to a long and lasting relationship with you!
My bed is calling out to me and I must let "sleep knit up the raveled sleeve of care." Tomorrow is another day. Love, Ruby