Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Enough and Extra

Hey, Y'all,
When is the difference between enough and extra? Sometimes, the enough never seems to happen, thus never becoming extra. Does that make sense to you? Growing up with little money, and all of us being born in the 20's and 30's depression era, there often was not enough for any of us to eat well, or to be physically satisfied with it. We were no different than millions of people at that time, and I see the same thing happening in today's economy. What does that do to a person's inner self? (An age-old question, I am sure, and one that I am not goint to try to answer)

One thing that we did have though, and we shared, was caring for others. We had love for each other, and respect, we grew in our appreciation of the kindness of others to us, as well. People were kind (mostly) and we learned the difference between enough and extra. We learned that no matter how little or how much we had of anything, we shared and so we had extra even when we didn't. 

I love to do for other people. As I stated in earlier postings, my mom "took in" her sisters and brothers, when they were down on their luck, even when we had little to nothing. She had an aunt that we called "Ainty" (Auntie with a classy pronunciation to those of you who pronounce the "u") who would come to "stay" with us sometimes when she was out of work. Ainty was  a nurse who took care of people and she had a little black doctor's bag that she carried with her. 

Any of my brothers or sister would do anything they could to help someone who needed it, because we grew up that way, and genuinely cared for others. With us, we considered enough to be extra when we needed to share. There were several times when we had nothing to eat in the house (back in the mid 1930's. I remember one time when I was about three years old, we lived across from a lady who ran a restaurant, and she gave us a bowl of lima beans and pan of cornbread, and oh, that smelled and tasted so good. (I can't stand lima beans to this day, but they were good then). 

We learned about sharing when other people shared with us, and knew how wonderful it feels to be provided with food when you are hungry. I love to feed others and have them sit at my table and enjoy good food and fellowship. In my home, there is always enough and extra, just like when I was growing up. I love to share. 

Well, that is it for today. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. More later. Bye for now.

22 comments:

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Nicely written post. Nowadays people indulge the extra too much that nothing is ever enough!

Duncan In Kuantan

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful post Ruby, some people just don't know when they have had too much and always want that little bit extra.

Yvonne.

Tori Cooper said...

I loved reading about how your family came together in hard financial times... that they actually cared.

I don't know what its like to have very little food but I do know what little money feels like, thankfully the Lord has provided for us in many ways that I am greatful, especially with the baby on the way!

Somehow someway we always have enough to feed our bellies and we know it's the Lord. I wish we had extra... but like your family our "extra" is intangible! Thanks for the post! -Tori

Jan said...

Ah, Ruby, "enough" Is the theme of my post today...you just beat me to it. Loved this post.

Margie's Musings said...

I agree. But today's families are just as caring. My kids help me each month with my house payment. I helped them when Bob was alive and we had more money.

I have a friend who sends me a couple of hundred dollars every so often because he knows of my struggle since Bob is gone. he and his wife are wonderful.

Elaine in Florida said...

Such a great post! I am from a large family and we certainly were limited when it came to the "extras"; however, no matter who showed up for Sunday dinner, Mom always managed to have plenty of food on the table. A quick trip to the basement for canned beans, beets, etc. stretched those meals nicely. Lots of valuable lessons learned during those times. Have a super day!

Nicki Elson said...

Nice post. Isn't it interesting that back when people had barely, if even, enough they could feel like they had extra and didn't think twice about giving what they could to others. Hard economic times aren't necessarily bad thing, eh?

Laura Brown said...

We used to have my Grandmother's sister come and stay with us for weeks and months. Not because she was in need of help. She had her own house and she had money enough. She was just lonely, all her children died young. Though she had been married twice she out lived her husbands too. Her name was Alice but we all called her Aunt Alice. She smoked a lot, rolled her own cigarettes which was fun to watch when we were kids. She had a machine that did it sometimes. She baked us Irish soda bread in the fireplace. She made the world's best cakes, especially chocolate - much appreciated by four kids at the time. She bought me my first ever alcoholic drink when I was 14 in an Irish pub downtown in Toronto. She also helped with renovations in the house, though she would have been 50 or so at that time. I miss her. I used to write letters (paper, not email) to all the Grandmothers and their sisters, but they are all long gone now.

Laura
http://wordgrrls.com - I don't use Blogger so you won't have my link with this comment form.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Wonderful post! It's so true, I think that's what's wrong with society today, they don't care enough or how to share. They have no respect. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-z-blogging-challenge_06.html

mshatch said...

I am fortunate to come from a large and caring family as well and it is definitely one of the blessings in my life.

thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Grammy said...

Hi.Y'all, Thanks for the really neat stories in your comments. and for stopping by to visit with me. Isn't it wonderful how much we all have in common as human beings?
Ruby

Marjorie said...

After my mom and step-dad got divorced we were poorer than church mice. Growing up poor teaches you that sharing is not only important but essential. Greediness was never a problem in my family nor yours I see. So it just baffles me to see greediness. It upsets me that this lesson of the poor sometimes doesn't reach those who have always had plenty.

Dafeenah said...

I am so glad you stopped by today. You reminded me of something I had forgotten. It is very nice to have met you.


Dafeenah

Tiger85 said...

Very lovely post, I love sharing as well. =)

http://tigeronmybookshelf.blogspot.com/

Ju Dimello said...

This is one thing I always struggle with in my WIP... I say its enough ;) the characters want extra..and vice versa ;)

Following you from A-Z challenge!

Jeremy [Retro] said...

i am happy to really have anything, there was a time i had a 100 bucks in my pocket and a song in my heart... now i have a dollar in that same pocket... and bought a .99 track on amazon.

A to Z Blog Challenge Participant
Jeremy [iZombie]
izombielover.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Truly great post, thank you for sharing your memories!

Nice to meet you through the A-Z challenge :) Hope to see you around! :)

^.^ said...

Hi, my lady, just peeking into your blog, and I so love it ... I'll be back ... your writings are good for thr soul. Feel free to visit / follow my site if you like. Greetings from Canada ... Love, cat.

Doreen McGettigan said...

These are values that are so lacking today. Thank you for sharing this part of you...

http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

Grammy said...

Hi, Y'all,
Right now I am just trying to visit as many as I can to taste all the flavors.Later, after this month is passed, and I have the time, I will be back to reading some regularly. I may not always leave a note when I visit, but I try to.
Thanks again.

Petra said...

Wonderful post! Thank you!

Margaret Hall said...

Hi, Grammy...Always makes me mad that I can't get here fast "enough" to read your fine sincerity and your wonderful wit~! Family is key, and to have enough is key, but how wonderful to have 'extra' even if it is limas and cornbread..Gee, now I have a hankerin' for that combo~! I love your blog, and I shall now rush up to "F"...
sorry to be tardy, but life again got in the way...

http://timeforabucketlist.blogspot.com/
http://imagesinthought.blogspot.com/
http://the-old-story-tree.blogspot.com/
http://bagladythoughts.blogspot.com/