Wednesday, November 26, 2008

One of Life's Embarrassing Moments

Hey, Y'all,
Now why would anyone want to write about an embarrassing moment they had experienced? Well, just simply because it was funny in the years after it happened.

What reminded me of it was when Gramps and I were talking about Thanksgivings past. Here is what happened:

When I was about thirteen years old, the church that we attended was having a Sunday evening music service where anyone who wanted to could sing. My mom was always singing little songs and she had taught us one about Thanksgiving. So I decided that I was going to sing that one. Now the song is sung to the tune of "Yankee Doodle". You know the one that kids learn in school about Yankee Doodle keep it up, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Mind the music and the steps and with the girls be handy.

The words to the song that Mom had taught us were:
Thanksgiving Day has come at last,
Our hearts are jumpin', thumpin'
We're off to Grandma's house to eat
The turkey and the pumpkin!
(Chorus)
Of all the nice things good to eat
Our Grandma dear can make them
She lets us kids have what we want,
And never says don't take them.

Well, there are more words to the song, but you get the idea. The only problem with my singing the song, was that I was singing it so fast that the pianist who was going to accompany me, couldn't keep up with me. I literally ran away with the song.
I was nervous, because I had never sung before a group of people before. It was a disaster and I was in the middle of it. The pianist finally just gave up and quit trying to play the song. I finished the song, post haste, and was so embarrassed I could hardly walk back to my pew.

Needless to say, it was a long time before I hazarded singing a solo in front of a group of listeners, but it didn't stop me for ever. I am just a natural born: (choose one) performer, show-off, ham, out-going person who is not shy of meeting people and making friends.

Well, have a Happy Thanksgiving, all of you who read my blog! It is going to be a great holiday for us with our daughter, Teresa, and her husband, Tom, coming in to spend it with us. God's richest blessings on each of you. I hope you will each find something to be thankful for and also something to laugh about, even if it is my silly but true story. Bye for now. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off.

No comments: