Saturday, April 18, 2009

More Fuzzy Stuff Please....

Hi Everyone -

This is Teresa...Mom asked me to post telling everyone my perspective of yesterday. Hmmm...I made a quick trip up (90 miles an hour is sooooooo easy to do when the traffic is light like it was yesterday!) and then went to the hospital and waited for Mom to arrive. Mark brought her because I wouldn't have time to come all the way to her house and then make it to the hospital in time for the admittance for surgery. I made it in enough time to run to the cafeteria, grab a sandwich and wolf down half of it before she arrived.

We sat in the waiting area for about 30 minutes and then it was time to be taken back to be prepped for the surgery. My Aunt Mae and Aunt Imazo were there but they would only allow one person to go back with her prior to the surgery. (Bless their hearts, they stayed there for the entire surgery and refused to leave until they knew she was going to be ok.) I went back with her and was amused at the astonishment of the nurses as she told them all in great detail about what the doctor was going to do to her. They said that usually people come in and don't even understand what was going to happen to them. HA! They didn't know my mother. It's funny how they think old means dumb...not so!!

Once they had asked all the questions, they gave her some medicine to help her relax (her BP was pretty high so I was glad they were already doing that). She said she loved the 'fuzzy' feeling. When they asked if she need more later she said, "Yes, could I have some more fuzzy medicine please" and then they gave her a third dose in just a little while. She would get this little happy smile on her face and close her eyes and I would watch as her BP dropped to normal and her pulse slowed down to a more normal level. Of course, she would continue to talk which made the 'fuzz' wear off and just kept being happy that they would give her more. She was back there waiting to go into surgery from 1:30 until 5:00. She got a LOT of fuzzy medicine. We have both decided that we understand how addictions happen...I mean...it feels so good, why wouldn't someone want to enjoy it?

They gave me a phone to allow them to call me as soon as the surgery started (they kicked me out around 4:30) and at 5:00 the phone rang and they said they had started and that she went to sleep with no problems and at 5:35 they called and said that it was over and they didn't have to do any exploratory surgery! WHOO WHOO...much rejoicing was going on in the waiting area between the aunts and I. I went back and consulted with the Doctor (very nice man!) and he explained that it was a large cyst with hundreds of cysts inside it which made it look like it was a tumor (solid) instead of a cyst.

It took us from 5:45 to 9:00 to get resolve her nausea and wake her up enough to take her home. They really shove you out of hospitals when you are a 1 day surgery but the nurse was very nice and helped me in every possible way to get her ready to leave. We stopped on the way home and got her medicine at Walgreen's and they headed home. It was about 11:00 before the house settled down to the usual post-surgery partial sleep. I think tonight everyone will be sleeping deeply!

That's about it in a nutshell...Thanks to everyone for their prayers as our family went through this scary ordeal. I think we all realized that Mom is the glue that holds us together and we couldn't bear the thought of anything being seriously wrong with her. A special thanks to J.W., Mom's pastor, who came and prayed over her just before the surgery. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much!

Teresa

2 comments:

Mom B said...

Good blog, sis! You're right...we need the Mom Glue! Thanks for being there!

Clara....in TN said...

Thanks for telling us about your Mom.