Thursday, September 4, 2008

In or Out? Don't Know Yet

Hi, Y'all,
Well, we are not quite sure yet whether or not Gramps will be leaving the hospital tomorrow or not. Sorry it is so late in the evening to be posting this. It is 10 p.m. here right now. We have spent most of the day at the hospital. Some good news is that Lois may be going home tomorrow...well, actually not home but to the nursing home where she spent quite a bit of time a few months ago. She will be in the care of people who took great care of her at that time.

Gramps has been quite confused over where he is. He said today that he thinks he is in the nursing home. The doctors say that he has been having mini strokes for some time and no one was aware of it. The neurologist told me this morning that his brain has shrunk a good bit because of hardening of the arteries. Also his sed rate was high and they were going to do some more blood work to check that. The way the neurologist talked, Gramps would be there for a couple of more days after today.

However, the way that the regular doctor talked (who had admitted him yesterday he could quite possibly be going home in the morning. This afternoon his blood pressure was 180/119 at about 6 p.m. It was checked again at 8 p.m. and was 160/80
It normally runs about 90/60. He could have been having another mini stroke at 6 p.m. I don't know how it will be in the morning.

We are planning to go to breakfast early tomorrow so that we can be at the hospital around 8 or 8:30. According to the doctor, they will have things ready for him to be dismissed if Gramps is ready to go home. I know if he does, it will probably be a long trying trip. Please, pray for us (I know you are doing so) that the trip will be as pleasant as it usually is.

We went to breakfast at the Cracker Barrel this morning, and then to the hospital. Hugh and Imazo went up to check on Lois, and found that she did pretty well during the night. A little later in the day, she had to go have a chemical stress test, and I think must have done pretty well, since they may be sending her away from the hospital tomorrow.

When I arrived at Gramps room, he was telling me how the workers had a party the night before and were lying in the floor wrapped in blankets and having a great time. I asked if they were drinking (turned my fingers up and tipped my thumb to my mouth) and he said, no, he didn't think so. I asked if they were throwing confetti and he said they were just having fun. Of course, he was imagining all that stuff.

We had the pleasure of having supper with three of Lois' children, one of her grandsons and his fiance. The picture will be posted when I get back to my home computer. Just can't do it with my laptop. I also took a picture today of Imazo and Lois which will also be posted in a few days.

Gramps also said that he slept on the couch in the lobby last night and didn't sleep very well. He said several other things during the day, that convinced me he doesn't know where he is. The nurse asked him tonight how he is, and he said, "I am at peace." I think that is a good word to end with tonight. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for tonight. Love to all of you. Bye for now.


Mom B said...

We'll be praying for safety for all of you. Keep me's okay to call in the daytime, even while I'm at school.
Love to all... TN said...

I pray you get home today without any incidents. It's hard to travel with a sick one. I can vouch for that. Be careful and let us know when you get home. Love, Clara

Judy said...

I am thinking of you and your husband and hope that he will be able to return home soon. I will pray for your safe journey back to your home. Love, Judy