Friday, July 4, 2008

Our Fourth of July

Howdy, you-all,

We hope you had a lovely Fourth of July...We certainly did. My husband, Dub, and I took some frozen hamburgers (uncooked, of course) and some buns, chips, and other goodies with us and went to Knoxville to celebrate with my brother, Hugh, and his wife, Imazo. (See pictures)
We traveled down there, of course, in our little red Yaris. (see picture).

Imazo and I prepared the meal (including a box of brownie mix with walnuts), while our men rested on the front porch of their home. We dined well, felt quite replete, and then retired to the front porch for conversation, a cool breeze, and rest.

My brother, as well as I do, has congestive heart failure and have both had heart by-pass surgery (he twice) and I once. So we only had one hamburger instead of two, and they were awfully tasty. Oh, and we had yellow tomatoes that came from my husband's tomato patch. They were the very first tomatoes that we have harvested.

A little while later, Imazo and I went in to the house and left the guys enjoying the sunshine and fresh air. We needed some cooler air and went into the living room to talk and I kind of reclined partially on the couch. The first thing I knew after that, I was waking up with a light cover over my legs. She had seen me drowse off, and covered me so nicely with the cover. They have the kind of home that is so easy to relax in, you know.

Later, we all went into their family room and watched news on the TV and had some coffee and fresh brownies. Then we hugged goodbye and took our leave and headed back to New Market. What a really nice day we had!
Dub got up early this morning, so he has already retired for the evening at 8:00 p.m. He is a growing boy, so he needs his rest. I will probably retire for the evening around 11 p.m. I don't sleep well if I go to bed too early. Tomorrow I get to do the things I have been kind of avoiding this week: laundry, vacuuming, dusting, kitchen floor. Whoopee, doesn't that sound like fun?

On Wednesday, I get to go to the dentist and get two teeth prepared for new crowns that have been missing for a few years. Just putting it off because I have such a dread of going to the dentist..I have an allergic reaction to some of the caines that are used to numb the gums. I told him to just knock me out when I come in for it. I doubt that he will, though. The office person who makes the appointments asked me if I wanted an estimate of the cost, and I told her no, that I would probably have to sell half my furniture to pay for it. (Just joking, you understand). She said, "You are joking, right?" I said, "No, I mean it." She said, "we would hate to see you have to sell any of your furniture". I just laughed.

More on the dentist's visit on Wednesday evening...Well, that is all from Blabbin' Grammy today. May God's grace and love be with you all. Bye for now.


Mom B said...

I told you you'd have a good time blogging! Too fun to read! I need to blog more often myself!

mjdav said...

Grammy, I am SO excited you have a blog! We love your Illinois kids and are thankful God brought them here. I am behind on my blog reading and will have to catch up but I loved your Fourth of July story. It was as if my mother-in-law could have written it just as you did. You're awesome! jan :)

Judy said...

Hi Grammy, Thanks for reading my blogs and I am glad you are enjoying them. A friend and I also grilled frozen hamburgers yesterday and had a nice 4th, but my neighbors stayed up all night and were still setting off fireworks at 3 a.m.! Don't get me started on the dentist. I have a bluegrass farm in my mouth! I hate going there worse than anything and all I have left is an arm or a leg to pay with and they just keep saying come back, come back.
I love your blog and am glad to have you for a blogging friend. TN said...

Good Morning Grammy, We didn't go anywhere for the 4th. I put a chicken to bake quite early yesterday morning and cooked some fresh green beans with small red potatoes on top. And I made a cherry cobbler. It was a good restful day. My neighbor always has BIG fireworks. They started last night about seven and were still going strong at ten. My two cats were scared out of their wits. I always let them stay in the house until it's over. One of them peed in the floor and they NEVER do that. But I excused it this time. LOL I understood!
My daughter and her family are in Baton Rouge for the week-end. The son-in-laws sister and niece are there. Ryan is going to stay with them for two weeks.
I like your car. I have been sorta looking around. My car is so big and uses a lot of gas. Bill doesn't drive any more, so maybe I will get to pick the one! Have a good day Grammy, Don't work too hard! Clara

Grammy said...

Dear mjdav.
I would love to read your blog as well, but can't get to it. Thanks for the comments on mine. I am a blogger for sure!
Thanks again. IF you don't mind me reading yours would you send me a way to connect with it? Thanks.