Thursday, November 24, 2011

Someone I Saw

Hey, Y'all,
I never know who I am going to meet. She was sitting alone with her head resting on her arms, and she looked quite worn out. I was in McDonald's getting ready to have my usual Mickey D's breakfast and looking for someone to give my extra apple pie. I decided to give it to her. She had two rolling suitcases sitting on the floor next to her and her coat was flung across her shoulders. When I offered the pie, she gladly took it and slowly ate it. She thanked me for it and said it hit the spot.

I admit it....I was quite curious about her (so what else is new? ha) and so I struck up a conversation with her. She told me she had walked from the corner of Central and freeway 183 and had not slept much last night. I got the idea that she had spent the night there in Wal-mart and the more I talked to her, it became obvious that she is homeless. 

She revealed to me that she had once been an administrative assistant, and that her parents are both well-educated and successful and that she had laundry that needed to be done in the suitcases. It also became clear to me that she could very well have been tossed out on her ear by her parents. She said that she is following God's directions in some job that He has for her to do, and that it is a secret that she can't reveal. According to what I gleaned from her, she has some money that she uses sparingly for small meals and for doing her laundry. She appeared to be in her forties age-wise, and looked healthy enough to be working. Anybody that can walk as many miles as she apparently does, is able-bodied enough to hold a job. I told her that I guess if I were in her place I would be making a list of the jobs I could do and getting a newspaper to check the ads. That was when she said she was waiting for God's directions in the secret project that he has for her to do.

I did learn also that she is waiting to be approved for government assistance. But I was wondering how she is going to get that help if she has no permanent address. Hmmm. 

I wished her well with a "God Bless you" and left to do my Christmas shopping. This took place on Tuesday morning. 


Yesterday, my friend Wanda called me and asked if I would like to go to the Outback for lunch, and I said, "Sure!" So we went and had a great time, laughing and talking. She and I are almost the same age, she being almost a year older than I. I had a yummy filet of steak, and a baked sweet potato. 


Last evening, I went over to Carol and Daryl's and had some (a small amount) of Spaghetti and salad. Matt and Amy were there and then Daniel, Whitney and their four children arrived from Illinois to spend Thanksgiving with us and Whitney's folks as well. Tonight we are celebrating Matt's and Carol's birthdays. Getting together is what it is all about, folks, with loved ones and just enjoying the fellowship. 


Well that is about it for today. I am hoping each of you has a blessed Thanksgiving, and don't eat too much today. Have lots of good sandwiches with the leftovers. ha. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ruby. I am so glad you are having a great big family get together. YEAH!!! Enjoy the day. Take care Ruby. Blessings my friend!!

Lisa said...

Happy thanksgiving Ruby.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hi Ruby hope your family get together went with a swing.

Take care.
Yvonne.