Friday, November 4, 2011

Come Fly With Me

Hey, Y'all,
Well, I have been to the eye surgery today and it was not a bad or unpleasant experience. The people were wonderful at the surgery, and the doctor was really quite excellent at what he does. He is a very nice person, too.

When I went back to have the surgery (into the surgery suite), they gave me a Valium to calm my nerves and I expected to really feel the effects of it - you know that calm all over feeling of drowsiness when you are on a sedative - ha! no effect as far as I could tell. But that is okay.. didn't even feel sleepy when I got back home. They helped me to lie down on the narrow padded bed thingy, and he taped my eyelids down so they would be out of the way, and put a shield over the non-operative eye. Then he inserted a clamp under my eyelids to keep my eye open. Next he proceeded to use the laser to remove as much of the epithelial cells as he could. Then he stopped a couple of times and we went out into an examining room so that he could check the results. Then back into the surgery room to continue with the same procedure, until he got what he felt was the best results. 

He washed my eye with saline solution, and added more drops of medication, and finally put the clear contact lens into my eye, which will remain for a week. Tomorrow morning, Carol will return with me for him to check my eye, and I have three eye drops that must be used four times a day, along with eye drops that must be used every hour while I am awake. Of course, that doesn't count the eye drops that I used each night before bed time for my Glaucoma. I am going to be "dropped out" before all this is over. Ha ha. So far my eye is not causing me any pain to speak of. I do have some Hydrocodone if I need it, but will probably be taking only regular stuff for pain. 

They gave me some really cool protective eyewear for night time. I feel like I should have a scarf around my neck to protect me against the wind when I am piloting a little pre-world war II airplane. Don't I look really cool? Ha. 

Yeah, I just had to have Carol take my picture. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. You know me... Ha ha. 

Carol did the drive through thing at KFC for our lunch, and brought me home and got me settled for my lunch, then went home to fix lunch for Daryl. He is on the sick list with a fever and feeling much worse than I do, I am sure. She came back after lunch and we sat and watched an episode of "The Closer" rerun. She has really had to do a lot of running today, bless her heart. 

I thank you all for your prayers on my behalf; I am sure they helped a whole lot as always. I may sleep in my recliner for a few nights, to protect my eye, (even with the flying glasses). I don't feel too comfortable sleeping in bed wearing them. Unfortunately, I am a left side sleeper and it was my left eye that got the surgery today. 

I will be waiting a few days before working on Teresa's quilt again. I am just going to take it easy for a few days. 

Well, this is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.



Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Congratulations on getting through your surgery. (Cool shades!) After I had my cataract surgery, the doc gave me a metal shield with a bunch of holes in it. Then a month later, he did the other eye, and he gave me another shield. Happened to be right around Halloween at the time, and my hubby suggested I go as a fly.

Take care!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

So Pleased all went well for you.
Take care.