Thursday, August 28, 2008

Settling Back In

Hey, Y'all!

We are settling back into our usual routine today. Yesterday was kind of a day of rest - well, I guess today was kind of like that too. We are never really running around a lot. Gramps still has a crick in his neck and shoulders and couldn't get out of bed easily last night. So, at around 2 a.m. when he needed to get up for a bathroom visit, he didn't wake me up until it was too late. I had to help him out of bed when I turned over and saw he was trying to get up. Then I had to change the wet sheets and mattress pad. Have you ever done that at 2:15 or 2:30 in the morning? I had to literally pull him to his feet (not easy to pull a six-foot tall person to his feet when you are only 5'2") It is a good thing that I have a lot of strength in my upper body and in my legs. Then I had to help him up again about 7:30 a.m.

Well, that time, it was not too late. Then I had to get ready a little later for my visit to the dentist. After breakfast, he wanted to go back to bed and I told him I would rather he stayed up at least until after I got back home from the dentist. So he did.

My visit to the dentist was quite quick because he only had to remove the temporary crown and put on the permanent one. Needless to say, I am glad to be able to wear my lower partial again, and not have to go back to the dentist until time for my teeth to be cleaned.

Of course, I had to go into Jefferson City to pick up some prescriptions and then back home. Oh, yes, I had put some Bio-freeze on his neck and shoulders this morning before I left for the dentist and put some more on after supper today. If you have never used this product, it is excellent for arthritis pain, and back pain, and also leg cramps at night. This is not a testimonial, but just the truth as far as I am concerned. It can be purchased at chiropractor's offices or online. The main ingredient is menthol and probably Vicks salve would do the same thing for you, but I think the Bio-freeze has more menthol in it.

I had to have my afternoon nap today to make up for the sleep I lost last night. I did get sheets and mattress pad washed and dried today.

I was on my way home from the dentist's office when my cell phone rang. It was my sister-in-law, Darlene, who lives in Phoenix. She called to tell my that my brother, John, was back in the hospital. He has congestive heart failure, has had a couple of heart attacks and has had bypass surgery. (As you may know, my brother, Ralph, died of a heart attack; my brother, Hugh, has had heart attacks and two by-pass surgeries, and also has congestive heart failure; I have had by-pass surgery and have congestive heart failure --you may be saying by now that it must not be a good thing to have been born into this family, and in a way, that could be right. I would, however, take this family over many that I know of. We have our heart problems but they are only in a physical manner. We have more heart for each other than many families do)

We are waiting to hear how John is faring and praying that he will soon be able to be back home. We love and appreciate Darlene so very much, for she is a dear friend, and she takes such excellent care of John. It is very difficult for them, I know, to be out there away from family here in East Tennessee.

A recent picture is posted here of John taken when we visited them in Phoenix. John is the baby of the family. (well, he is 72 but still the youngest so he is the baby).

Thought for the day: My mom always said, "Anything worth doing, is worth doing well". She had a lot of sayings about such stuff. She instilled in each of her children an ethic for doing our best at whatever we do.

Well, this is Blabbin' Grammy turning it off for this evening. May each of you have a good night's rest


Tanya said...

poor uncle dubby. I am so glad I get to hear about the day to day there and keep close tabs on you all now that I found your blog. I love you both.

Judy said...

I hope your brother improves and is able to come home soon. You all look so much alike. I knew when I saw the picture he was your brother. You seem to be a little whirlwind always doing and going and taking care of everyone. I am sure you do everything that you do well. Have a great weekend Grammy. TN said...

Been there and done that!!!! I'm talking about changing the sheets and all in the wee hours of the morning.
Hope your brother does well. Keep us updated.

Serbian Mink said...

Gwammy.......sorry to hear about John's health issues. he looks hearty in the picture despite the naked gums....hahaha.

they never phone us or ask us to visit, guess David was not very close to him or ???

you take care of Numero Uno as well.
Chubby Niece

Grammy said...

Serbian Mink..
I am sure they would be happy to see you all any time. You don't have to wait to be invited. I don't. I just go when we can, and let them know that we are coming. John has always loved seeing David. They are a lot alike.
Love to you all. Thank you for the comments.
Aunt Grammy