Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekend Happenings

Hey, Y'all,
Well, Saturday morning, I cooked a pound of sausage in preparation for the sausage/egg casserole that I was to prepare for a Sunday morning snack for our Sunday School class, and put it into the fridge until Saturday evening to be ready to use on Saturday evening. As you probably know, when you are going to prepare the sausage/egg casserole, you put it together and keep overnight, and then the next morning, you put it into a cold oven, turn on the oven and cook it for an hour, then serve it hot.

Saturday afternoon, after I had my lunch, I went on to the Artisan theater to see the live production of "Camelot". I had no idea that it was going to last four hours. It began at 3 p.m., and the intermission came at 5 p.m. I looked at my watch and decided I would just have to forgo the second half, because I don't know the route well enough to drive it after dark. Also, if I drive after dark, sometimes the automobile lights from other cars really bother my eyes. So I left and headed back home.

I stopped at Kroger's on the way home and picked up a cake mix to prepare as well. We usually have 3 class members to sign up to bring snacks. Unfortunately, only one signed up to bring snacks for today, so I filled in for the other two. I got home and had just mixed the cake and put it into the oven to bake, when the phone rang, and Carol wanted to know if I was okay and was I coming to supper. She was having the kids over (hers and Daryl's) along with two couples from the church. One of the couples are a missionary couple to England, and are home on furlough. Well, I just had to wait until the cake was almost done and then I turned off the oven to let it finish on its own without burning. Then I went to Carol's and had a late supper when the others had almost already finished. We all had dessert then, which was Chocolate Eclair Dessert. The guys were watching a football game and the younger people left and went home. That left the ladies playing a game of dominoes in the dining room. We all had a really great time.

It was around 9 p.m. when I got home, so I got out the pan to prepare the sausage/egg casserole to put into the fridge to set overnight. I broke up ten slices of potato bread and arranged them in the bottom of a 13x9 baking pan, topped them with the precooked sausage pieces, and took a package of sharp cheddar and spread it on top of the sausage and break crumbs. Unfortunately, I noticed a couple of pieces of the cheese had mold on them (the package had been opened a couple of weeks earlier and a portion of it used then. So, I began trying to pick all the pieces of shredded cheddar off the top of the sausage and bread crumbs. After about 30 minutes, I saw the futility of the efforts, and tossed the whole bunch of crumbs, sausage and cheese. I was glad that I had another pound of sausage to cook, and a couple of bags of fresh unopened cheese to use. I had already beaten the eggs and milk together.

I started over by cooking the sausage, draining it, and cooling it. I broke up ten more slices of potato bread, and arranged them in a baking pan, topped them with the sausage and new cheese, added the egg/milk mixture and covered it with a piece of aluminum foil. After placing it into the fridge, I got the bundt cake out of the pan and frosted it, and then put the cake into a container. It was after 11 p.m. when I finally got into bed. What should have taken only 15 minutes took much much longer. I baked the mixture this morning, and it was really good. The cake was delicious, as well. It was a spice cake.

Well, that is about it for today. Teresa tells me (via her blog) that this last treatment was really tough, but Tom is doing a good job of caretaking. She also says the prayers are working, so keep them coming, please! This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.


Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You wear me out, Ruby!

Mom B said...

Isn't she a spunky little thing! I'm proud of her...she's handled all of these life changes with her usual sense of adventure! Not to say it hasn't been sad and hard along the way, but she keeps letting the Lord be her trust, and let's His strength keep her going. Having a lot of the kids around and playing dominoes regularly doesn't hurt the process, either!