Friday, June 12, 2009

Sweet Home, Alabama!

Hey, Ya'll!
Well, tomorrow I head south to my Sweet Home, Alabama with my daughter, Teresa, who has graciously taken on the task of caring for her little 'ole sweet mother over the next month. What a task. I do not envy her the job! I appreciate Tom putting up with me for a whole month non-stop.

This morning, I received the news that I can leave the hospital tomorrow. Since it had been two weeks since my hair had been washed, my very capable CP (CareProvider), Harland, said he would wash my hair for me. What a wonderful experience it was! Apparently he has done this procedure several times before, and we wound up having a lot of fun and spreading a lot of water around. (See the picture above)

I actually had 2 meals today. I didn't eat a lot of either one, but it was good to know that I was no longer on clear liquids.

I got to go back outside today, but I didn't use the wheel chair today. I used my walker, and went into the hall, got onto the elevator, went down to 2nd floor, and outside into the courtyard. I walked around to the tables outside McDonalds...yes, they do have a McDonald's here...and we sat in the sunshine for about 15 minutes. The 85 degrees got a mite warm, and it wasn't long before we moved over into the shade. No, I did not yeild to the temptation of anything from McDonald's. We sat there for a while, watching the people pass by. People watching is a very interesting thing to do. You never know what you're going to see, and sometimes you say, "Would you look at that!" or, "Did you see that?"

A word about some nice visitors. I had two visitors this week. The first was my good friend Eric. He's in Nashville attending a convention. I was sitting in a chair, drowsing off, when all at once I looked up and there stood Eric smiling at me. Carol was off getting some lunch. I greeted him and invited him to sit down, and it wasn't long before I realized I had been nodding off again. Poor Eric! I know he must have felt unappreciated after coming out of his way to visit with me! He never complained. Instead he very sweetly said, "Well, I need to get going, and I'm glad you're getting better, and now I'm going to let you rest a while!"

My second visitor was my good friend Bruce. Bruce has a brother who was burned badly a few months ago, and was here in the burn unit, but is now in another Vanderbilt facility, at Madison, which is very close to here. The brother was lighting a candle with a butane lighter and there was a puff of fireball of flame, and it caught his hair on fire. He has much plastic surgery ahead of him, and it would be good to remember him in your prayers.

In the morning, I look forward to traveling to Teresa's, and I know Carol is looking forward to traveling home and seeing her family again (DUH!) and I know they miss her terribly. I'll miss having her with me, too.

I look forward to the time I will spend with Teresa, and although I know she'll be busy, I know we will have enjoyable happenings. Gramps will be on his way to The Terrace apartments where he will be living for the next month. My treatment here at the Vanderbilt hospital has been superb, and I couldn't ask for better care.

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. The next time I post will be in Alabama. God bless each of you, and I covet your prayers over the next few weeks both over me and my family. I know it's a difficult time for them with me ill, and with Gramps away from me. A special thanks to Mark and Allie for their tender care of Gramps, and also to his neices for arranging for his stay at the apartments in Morristown. I appreciate Imazo and Mae for keeping the home fires burning, and my next door neighbors, the Benjamins, and Gene and Judy for all of their help and support during this time. (I hope I haven't left anybody out) and for the prayers of my churchmembers. God Bless you all. I'll be talking to you later. Bye for now.

1 comment:

Clara....in TN said...

Hi Grammy, you look so cute getting your hair washed. I'm sure you will be well taken care of at Teresa's. Enjoy your time there. It will be a good time to read and relax. I know Gramps will miss you along with all of your other friends and buddies in New Market and around. I have been to that McDonalds at Vanderbilt. I love to sit on the outside there. Like you said, you can see everything if you just watch. How do I send you a card by snail mail? I would love to do that. You are an inspiration to me. I'm still going to come into New Market one of these days and visit with you. Sending prayers and hugs!