Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Drive Throught the Country

Hey, Y'all,
Well, it is raining here tonight, pretty good rain, too. I love hearing it and knowing I don't have to get out in it tonight in the dark. I don't see too well at night, and especially when it is raining. I was up by 7 a.m. this morning, and had my breakfast by 8 a.m. and was showered and out of the house by 8:45, on my way to see Gramps.

But let me tell you first about yesterday morning. I decided to carry off the trash, and when I was back out on the road, I decided to try a shortcut to go to Dandridge, where the nursing home is. My friend, Carolyn M., will appreciate this story, I am sure. I decided to take Kearney Road hoping it would lead to highway 92 where the nursing home is located. I followed Kearney Road to its end, where it T'd into Hinchey Hollow Road (the road Carolyn lives on), I took a left turn onto Hinchey Hollow Road, and followed it quite a ways. It looked like it was going to take me out to a mountain called Bay's Mountain. The farther I went, the more boogery it looked. I saw that I passed a turnoff to Flat Gap Road, and I knew that Flat Gap came out on 92, but didn't know whether to take a left or a right onto Flat Gap. (You see, I am directionally challenged). Anyway, I decided to turn around and retrace my path back to where I got onto Kearney Road, which I did. From there I went the way I should have gone in the first place: back to the highway at New Market, and on into Jefferson City and from there onto 92 and then to Dandridge. That is the story of my foray into the wilderness of country I didn't know. ha ha.

Well, back to today. When I got to the nursing home, I saw that Gramps was still in bed, but they were getting ready to get him up for his shower. The occupational therapist (Kathy) was there also to work with him and get him some practice in getting out of bed and walking a little. It took her about fifteen minutes just to get him on his feet with her doing part of the work. It was heartbreaking for me to see him struggle so, but he was doing the best he could. She had put his shoes on his feet, but he was having trouble moving them because his shoes are rubber soled and the floor is the rubber tile and was making it difficult for him to move.

Kathy told me that any time I came in during the day and he was still in bed, to insist that he be gotten up and sit in a chair. After she was finished with him, he was taken down to the showers. Rick (the male CNA) helped him dress for the day, and left him sitting in the wheel chair. Before too long, Gramps' dinner tray was brought in, and for that meal he had spaghetti and meat balls, with green beans, and fruit cocktail, milk, and coffee. I helped him with his eating (fed him, that is) and he did not eat a lot of it, but more than he ate yesterday for lunch.

I had taken a Glucerna drink for him this morning and he had drunk about half of it. I told the aide and she said I didn't need to bring any more of them because they had those for the residents, so I told her that he would probably like the Strawberry flavor best. They put one on his supper tray and he drank all of it with his meal. I left soon after he ate his dinner (lunch to some of you). I went to eat dinner (lunch) with my friend, Judy, who bought my dinner at The Minnis House, a tea room in New Market. It was delicious, as always, and she also gave me a really cute apron with peas embroidered on it that says, "Imagine World Peas", for my birthday tomorrow. I stopped at her mom's house and visited with her for awhile before I continued on home.

I went back to the nursing home this afternoon and Gramps was in bed ( it was about 4 p.m.) so I asked the aide, Cindy, to help me get him up and walking. I had brought the belt that he has had for some time that is used to help support patients that have difficulty walking. It is fastened around the waist of the patient and held onto at the back by the person assisting. She fastened it around him and we sat him up on the side of the bed, and put the walker in front of him and he held on to it, and we got him up on his feet. I held on to the front part of the walker and encouraged him to take each step, telling him which foot to move, till he got into the rhythm of it. I helped him turn the walker as he moved and we got him around the end of the bed and to the other side of the bed into an armchair. It was tough work for us, but even tougher for him. He was worn out by the time we got him around to the other chair, but I kept saying "good, good. That's great! Good job!" and then when he was seated, I clapped my hands.

I am determined that he is going to be able to walk in four to six weeks from now, if I have anything to do with it. He ate his supper pretty good after that workout. They served him a sloppy Joe and soggy onion rings, along with the Strawberry Glucerna drink. He ate half of the Sloppy Joe and part of the fruit cocktail, and drank all his coffee. I praised him for that as well.

About 6 p.m. I left and went home. I asked them to help him get back to bed and they said they would. When I got home, it was not long before my neighbors came down to watch a movie with me. (No Time for Sergeants). They also brought me a birthday cake and gifts of a movie and a devotional book. They had never seen the No Time for Sergeants movie. We had a snack and a root beer float while we watched the movie. We had a great time laughing, and I could forget my problems while watching the movie. It was wonderful!

Well, it is about time for me to take my nighttime meds and go to bed. I will probably go early tomorrow to the nursing home. I plan on stopping for gravy and biscuits at Burger King in the morning because it will probably be late when I eat lunch. My eyes are getting heavy and it has been a long day. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends, and thank you again for all your loving support! If my determination could make Gramps well, he would be home a lot sooner than I know he will be. People who know me know how stubborn I am. Ha. Bye for now. More later.


Ocean Girl said...

Dear Grammy, you are strong and you make me want to get up and go, instead of just lying around on a Sunday morning. You motivate even in your trying time. Thank you.

Tanya said...

I know tomorrow is your birthday and I hope that it is a nice day for you. i can't wait to see you when I come out next month hopefully I will be able to see uncle dubby too. you are a rock just what dubby needs right now. I know you'll get him walking soon enough :)

azdarlene said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Ruby, Happy Birthday to you. Hope you have a good visit with Dub. He will be walking real soon if you have anything to do with it.....hahaha!!! Just be sure you get your rest and don't wear yourself out. We love you both.
Darlene and Mark

Wendy aka Quillfeather said...

I hope you have a very Happy Birthday, Ruby! You so deserve a treat.

As for being directionally challenged - you sound just like me. I'm simply hopeless.

Delighted to hear, Gramps is able to get to his feet, albeit assisted. Baby steps, but nevertheless. It's all good.



You must be exhausted with what'sbeen gong on these past few weeks, Hope Gramps continues to progress.

Try and Have a peaceful sunday.

Jan said...

Oh Ruby,
I am clapping for you. You are doing a great job.
Have a very Happy Birthday but be careful from all those lit candles!
Love and prayers here from Jan.

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! We found No Time for Seargents for you yesterday but it looks like you already got it. I'll miss chatting with you today online but am glad to know that you'll be with Dad. Love you both bunches and bunches!!

Barbara said...

Happy Birthday//Have a great one.Hope things will improve for both of you soon.Love and prayers to you. TN said...

Happy Birthday....Have a great one. I know what you are going through trying to get Gramps to walk. I did that for about six months. I would have to hold on to the back of him to give him some support. His feet would slide across the floor. Now he cannot get one foot in front of the other. He fell out of his hospital bed the other night, and I was here by myself. It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to get him back into bed. He cannot help you one bit. I used every muscle in my body, and used my knees a lot to push on him. I think it's like the stories I have read about a person lifting a car off someone. You don't know your strength until you have to do something. After that ordeal,,,,I put the rails up on his bed. He doesn't like that at all, but I don't like getting him up out of the floor either. One thing I know for certain....My Golden years aren't very Golden. And I'm sure he feels the same way. Take care now and again, I wish you a Happy, Happy Birthday. I WILL get there to see you one of these days!

aLmYbNeNr said...

It is now your birthday while I'm writing this so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And I truly hope it is a happy one for you. You are such a strong woman and despite the worries and how hard everything is right now, you just keep going and it is so admirable. You are an amazing woman.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy birthday, Ruby!

And I am directionally challenged as well, so don't feel bad.