Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Beautiful Dream

Hey, Y'all,
Didja ever have a dream that seemed so real you could taste it? Well, I quite often do, and last night was no exception. My ancestors were true believers when it came to dreams and that they had special meanings and portents of things to come. Both the Scots and the Cherokee were believers in meanings of dreams. Do I believe they are foretellers of things to come or that they have special meanings? Maybe, sometimes.

Anyway, on to what I dreamed...I dreamed that both my daughters, Carol and Teresa, came into town to visit with me. They were dressed fit to kill, and were laughing and talking and having a great time, and I was having a wonderful time with them. It was just beautiful, so that when I woke up, I had a feeling of euphoria.

Later, when I went back to sleep, it was summer time, and I was in the house with Gramps, and we lived on a city street, and the neighbors were coming in and opened the windows and were bringing a list of things that we needed to provide for an old man's birthday. The bees were coming in at the windows, and the people were asking if I had any ice cream or soda, and I said "no, but I could get some". One person asked how long ago we had built the house, and I said we didn't build it. He said, "Oh, so do you rent it?". I replied, "Shhh! My husband thinks we own it" (This is true).

Anyway, there was a lot more to the dream, but I thought you might enjoy reading about it. Duh!

Yesterday was a busy day, and just about the time I got into the preparation of supper for our neighbors to share with us, Gramps had a problem and so got his second shower of the day, and preparation of supper got put on hold temporarily. Consequently, I didn't get the morning dishes done along with pots and pans I used for preparing supper. Anyway, did get supper ready on time, but the kitchen looked like the Wreck of the Hesperus* by the time I was through with the preps.

*The Wreck of the Hesperus is a poem written a long time ago by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. The use of the term saying that something or someone looks like the wreck of the Hesperus is a colloquial term in the UK to mean an untidy room or someone with a disheveled appearance. A lady that my sister, Margaret, was a caregiver of quite often used the term saying that she, Mildred, must look like the wreck of the Hesperus.

We had a lovely supper last night. I had roasted chicken (which was delicious - I had mixed some dried herbs and rubbed the breast of the chicken underneath the skin with them), and a squash casserole, cooked turnips (which the neighbors had never had), green beans and fresh loaves of potato bread that I had made. Fresh strawberries and whipped cream was our dessert. The kids had brought their Boggle game with them and we played that and had a lot of fun playing it. I had never played the game before so it was new to me.

Today, I am working on finishing up the baby quilt for Isaac Aaron, Tanya and Brian's newest baby. I should have it finished by the end of the day. Gramps is still in bed, and I have already unloaded the dishwasher, carried off the trash, and had breakfast. I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. OH! That would make a couple of good lines in a poem, wouldn't it? Oops! I can't use it since Robert Frost has already used it. I seem to be waxing poetic today. Speaking of poetry...Did you memorize poetry in school? We certainly did, and feel much the better for it. I absolutely love poetry! You can say with poetry what is sometimes difficult to express with prose.

Well, the weather is finally turning beautiful and we are looking for 75 degrees on Thursday for "movie day". I love it! We are looking forward to it.

This is about it for today. Blabbin' Grammy is signing off and through telling it all for right now. Much love to each of you. Bye for now. More later.

4 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Dreams are strange things Ruby, I have the most vivid dreams some nights that disturb me that sleep don't come easily. Perhaps it's my vivid imagination who knows.
Pleased that all is well with you and yours.
Take care.
Yvonne.

Lisa said...

I found your blog through "Tossing It Out's" blog. I too am participating in Blogging from A to Z. I look forward to your posts!

Lisa

Out Of My Head said...

Roll on thou deep and dark blue ocean roll. I loved that poem, Thanatopsis (tht is spelling at it cause I can't remember) ut i had a teacher tht read it to us over and over with such gusto you could really hear the ocean roar,

Out Of My Head said...

Good Grief Granny, I just read what I almost typed. I can't believe I sent that out with all those errors. But I guess you get the gist of it. Good night. Sweet dreams.