Saturday, March 20, 2010

After the Party

Hey, Y'all,
Well, last evening, we had friends (family, actually) in to share a meal and a time of fellowship, laughing, eating, talking, playing dominoes. I had begun the preparations by putting a couple of tenderloins in the crockpot around 8:30 a.m. and adding a bottle of barbeque sauce. That cooked all day. Then I made a banana pudding, which I don't think turned out real well, because I no longer have the cookbook that I always made it from. It was okay, but not up to my standards. I will probably toss it out.

Anyway, after carrying off the trash yesterday afternoon, I came back and made the yeast rolls and put them to one side to rise. Also for supper, about 50 minutes before supper, I cooked a couple of bags of Potatoes O'Brien. Yum, they are really tasty. Sweeping the kitchen floor took a few minutes, along with cleaning the bathroom for company's use. Oh yes, one more thing that took up some time was putting a mattress topper made of the memory foam into a cover that was created just for the topper. Have you ever attempted to do that without help? Let me tell you that it is no mean feat to accomplish, but I did it! It is like wrestling with a baby trying to put it into an outfit it is strongly objecting to wear. Ha.

I bought the mattress topper at Walmart the other day (Wednesday, I think) and when I got home, i put it into the bedroom to wait till I could open the box when I had the time. Later that evening, I opened it and read the instructions. The instructions said to open it carefully and spread it out on the floor so it could lie flat for 24 hours. The purpose was to let it air out so it wouldn't smell bad from the process of manufacturing and so it could fully inflate from the packing. Soooo, I laid it out in the living room floor, away from the traffic.

Friday around 1 p.m., I began my struggle to incarcerate it into the cover supplied for it. The cover unzips around one end and one side, leaving one to stuff it into the unzipped portion and then to zip it up. I was in my gown and housecoat, and got so warm (hot, actually) wrestling that piece of foam rubber, that I had to remove the housecoat. A good thing it was that no one was there with a video camera. I just leave it to your imagination, as to the tussle that ensued. However, I was victorious, and then called Teresa at her work to find out how exactly I should proceed in clothing the bed with the linens. Bless her heart, she was teaching a training class at work, but very sweetly took a small break to tell me that I should just go ahead and use the mattress cover on top of the topper and then the regular fitted sheet. This I did, and it worked just fine. Thank you, dear daughter! I slept on it last night for about eight hours of fairly good sleep.

Back to the dinner last night...Mark, Allie, Gene, Judy, Marion left around 11 p.m. Judy had brought her two granddaughters, Marti and Tori, with her. She was keeping them for Rick and Andrea for the day. We really enjoyed having them to visit with us, and they are just wonderful children. Marti played dominoes with us, and Tori was happy watching television with Gramps. Gramps does not enjoy sitting and playing dominoes very much. Anyhow, Rick and Andrea came and picked up the girls about 10 o'clock. I hope they will be able to come back and visit with us. They only live about a half-mile or so down the road from us.

Allie showed us some pajamas that she is making for her grandsons (really cute!) and also an apron that daughter Tanya had made for Allie's birthday. They are both really talented seamstresses.

By 11:45, I had cleared up the dishes and put them into the dishwasher (they had scraped the dishes and stacked them into the sink, so it was just a matter of doing a little rinsing of them and loading them into the dishwasher). Then I got myself ready for bed (which includes putting my dentures into the cup). By 11:45, I was into the bed and ready to snooze. By midnight, I was in sleepy land.

This morning, I was in the kitchen by 8 a.m. and ready to start the day. I unloaded the dishwasher, and made my oatmeal and sat down to eat. I opened my mouth to take a bite of oatmeal with the raisins and walnuts in it. I realized my dentures were still in the cup in the bathroom. Ha ha. The same thing happened the other day. I had gone to the eye doctor and realized upon speaking to his wife (one of his assistants) that I had left my dentures at home. Of course, being a blabber mouth, I mentioned it to her, and she said, "that's okay, I can still understand you". Ha ha. I guess most people would have been too embarrassed to say anything about it, but not me. I always enjoy a good joke, even if it is on me.

Well, that is about it for today. Not much going on right now. Gramps is up and has had his breakfast and is using his electric razor to shave with. Sometimes he uses it three or more times a day. But that is okay, it keeps him busy and happy. He will probably use it until it runs out of juice and then he will tell me it needs recharging.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments on my blog, you all. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you. Bye for now. More later.



Hi Ruby a lovely blog full of your news, it's as though you're telling me all this face to face.
Hope you and Gramps are well and the weather is OK.Here the weather is awful, wet , cold and windy. Still Spring is on it's way.
Take care.

Allie said...

We sure had a wonderful time! Thanks for the delightful hospitality - it's always fun. We love you!

Tanya said...

it sounds like my kind of party!! we miss you all, I might be out with Isaac in June if all goes to plan