Monday, October 5, 2009

We're Home (and other stuff)

Hey, Y'all,

Yeah, we are back home (and have been since last Wednesday afternoon), but somehow, I just haven't posted since last Tuesday. There was visiting with our grandson, Daniel and Whitney and their children to do. Then there was unpacking and laundry to do, and then there was just relaxing to do. This morning, after getting up around 6:30, I began unpacking boxes and bags of stuff we had brought back and realized that I really needed to post.

We had a wonderful time with our grands and great-grands last week. They arrived on Tuesday about 6:30 and we spent a couple of hours with them at The Terrace Estates just visiting and then they left for the night to go to their motel. I had spent part of Tuesday packing up some of the things we had accumulated over the past 40 days there. Wednesday morning, after breakfast, I finished our packing, and we waited for them to return to take us home. We turned in our code alert alarms to Glenna, the manager, and hugged her goodbye.

Daniel, Whitney and the four children made short work of carrying out our belongings. Even the youngest, 3 year old Ellie, was given something to carry out. In no time, we were on our way home. Whitney took their van and the two youngest children, plus Gramps, and I took Daniel and the two oldest children and drove my car (which they had brought from our house as they came that morning). We were home in no time and they soon had our things carried in and stashed where they could find a place for them. (Our house is small, you know, and places have to be found to place them).

We later went to Burger King for our lunch, and we had a wonderful time, and the great grands got the King Hats and had lots of fun with them. After lunch, Daniel and Dub and the two smaller children (Noah, 4, and Ellie, 3) went home. Whitney and I and the two older children (Hannah, 8, and Austin, 6) went to the grocery store to get a few items to refill my fridge and pantry. After we got home, the children had a lot of time to play and the adults had time to talk and visit. Later in the evening, we had sandwiches and salad for supper, and after supper, we had fun watching the kids play.
The weather was beautiful, and we went outside, where we saw our neighbor mowing his yard. I waved to him to come down and we had a really neat time chatting with him, and later, we came in while he continued talking with Daniel. (They talk about women talking....ha! Men can talk longer than we can, anytime). Of course, it didn't bother us; I was glad to see them both enjoying the conversation.

On Thursday morning, we met Daniel, Whitney and the children at a local Shoney's restaurant for breakfast and had a good time there. They came back to the house and we visited and the children played. After some really sweet hugs and kisses, they were ready to leave. In too short a time they got back into their van and were waving goodbye to us. It was so wonderful to have them with us, even for a short time.

When Friday came, I got up early, showered and got dressed to go to Jonesborough with my friend, Ina Ray, who got here about 8 a.m. I got Gramps up and he had his breakfast, and got dressed for the day. Our friend, Mark, came over later that morning, and they spent the day together. I cannot leave Gramps alone all day without someone checking on him. I drove my car to Jonesborough and Ina rode with me. We had a great time listening to professional storytellers regaling many people with their stories. We left Jonesborough at 2:30 or 3:00 and drove back to Dandridge where we stopped and had a late lunch/early supper.

Ina was soon on her way back home, and I went into the house and spent some time visiting with Mark. Later, as I sat on the couch (napping), our friends, Gene and Judy,
came in and wished Gramps a happy birthday (Saturday was his 83rd. birthday) and I passed on to them the tickets for the storytelling festival for saturday and sunday, since I could not go on those days. I always buy tickets for the whole weekend. Friday was Judy's birthday, and Sunday was Gene's birthday, so that was a birthday gift to them. I think their anniversary is in there somewhere, too.

Saturday morning, I was up early and made my breakfast and headed up to the Terrace Estates to pick up our bath stool that I forgot to bring home with us on Wednesday. Later, I stopped in Jefferson City to pick up prescriptions and made it home just in time for the interview conducted by the home health care nurse. She arrived here soon after I returned home. Gramps is being picked up by Jefferson County Home health care providers. We were both on home health care in Morristown while we were in the assisted living facility. They pronounced me as having made great improvement and no longer really needing it, and we left Gramps on home health care to provide additional strengthening for his limbs.

Yesterday was very quiet here and this morning has been also. I will probably take a nap in a little while. Gramps is already taking a nap following breakfast. I have been trying to get things put away. I have done 3 loads of laundry over the past three days, and am also trying to get my finances back in order. I am behind in all of that, and have a lot of filing to do of my papers. Well, that is about it for right now, and I am going to go take a nap.

By the way, I am feeling fine these days and am grateful for the recovery time I had to get back on my feet for sure. I go in a couple of days to Vanderbilt for a (I hope) final check up and blood work. Will let you know how that turns out. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Love to all of you. Bye for now. (Sorry it has taken me so long to post.)

3 comments: TN said...

Good to "see" you Grammy. I was beginning to get worried about you. Glad to know you are fine and Gramps is fine and you are back home . My it seems forever to me since you have been there. Take care now. Don't over do! Take all the help you can get. Sending hugs....Clara

Judy said...

So glad you are back in your own home and feeling so good and getting out and about! Sounds like you all had a wonderful visit and a late Happy Birthday to Gramps. Take care of yourself, do only what you feel like doing. Love, Judy

Barbara said...

Mornind Ruby, so glad you are doing better.Have a safe trip to Nashville tomorrow.Hope you get a good report.Happy Birthday to Gramps.