Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Last Night

Hey, Y'all,
Well, we have had a wonderful healing stay here at The Terrace Estates, but like all good things, it has come to an end, and we will be leaving here tomorrow. We have made a lot of friends here and will be sad to leave them, but have promised to return and visit. As General MacArthur said, (and I quote) "I shall return".

Our grandson, Daniel, is on his way with his wife and four children, to visit for a couple of days and will be helping us move home tomorrow. We are excited about seeing them again. It has been a year since we saw them, and just can't wait. We will be seeing them in about three hours.

I will be relating in later blogs some of the stories of people here at the facility.

We are in the process of packing up our room in preparation for leaving tomorrow. Believe it or not, we have amassed a good bit of "stuff" while here for only five weeks and a half, actually almost six weeks. Where did it all come from? It just has seemed to multiply.

Other residents here have become used to seeing me with a paperback book in my hands, even in the dining room. After the first week, when I saw how long we sit waiting for the meal to finish being served, I thought, "I could be reading right now instead of just sitting here waiting." So I began to bring the paperback I was reading at the time to the dining room, and spent my time waiting in the pastime of reading.

We have several wonderful places to sit and read or chat with others. The front porch has rockers where we sit and enjoy the sunshine, but now the weather is a little cooler and you won't see many people out there. We also have a couple of courtyards in the back with patio tables and chairs, and rockers where residents can spend time with family. There is also a living room area, quite a large room, with couches and chairs and tables with a large television set and a piano. This is the room where we have muscians come in and lead us in music or play and sing music for us.

There is also an activity room where we play bingo and where (on Wednesdays) ladies can get a free manicure. We have an activities director who arranges the activities for us and drives a van like you wouldn't believe. She handles that van like it was a little car like mine. We have a beauty shop where we can get our hair done. Jennifer is the beautician and is a lovely lady who is a lot of fun to talk to, and who laughs easily. (She did a beautiful job fixing my hair for me, too). I will miss her, among others here.

We have a nurse's station right across the hall from our room. There is a nighttime duty nurse who comes in early each morning and tests Gramps blood sugar and gives him a shot of insulin when he needs it. The daytime nurse administers medications during the day, and does a dandy job of it, too. They have been wonderful friends to us as well.

We cannot praise the staff here too highly. They have been wonderful to us, all of them. The residents here have been so welcoming to us, too, and have expressed how much they wish we would stay and we appreciate their friendliness and graciousness to us. We have had wonderful care with the Home Health care nurses and therapists. We have never felt so well cared for.

Farewell, friends...we will miss you too. We know that if we need to return, we will be happy to be here.

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Much love to all of you. Bye for now. Next time I post will be on my computer at home. (this is my laptop that I am using now). Bye for now.

6 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

Yeah for you and Gramps!!!!! I am so glad you had a good experience there at the Terrace. It's always good to know there is a place to go back to if you need to. I know you will miss your friends, and I'm sure they will miss both of you as well. Take care now and I will be checking in on you at home!

Judy said...

I know you will miss your friends there but as they say, there is no place like home. That place almost sounds like a spa though. I am glad you are feeling so good. It is very cool here. In the low 40s at night this week. I am not ready for winter yet! Enjoy your company.

Barbara said...

Hope you all have a good trip home today.Will be waiting to hear about it when you have time to blog.Hope all is well at home.Have a good visit with you grandson and family.Love Barbara

Tanya said...

I'm glad things went so well there and I am glad you guys are coming home. It will be fun to see your family, i'm sure and they will love love seeing you :D

Clara....in TN said...

Hope you made it home alright and are getting settled in nicely!

Barbara said...

Hope all is well there, A little bit worried about you.Have a good day, Love Barbara