Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Gathering of Friends and Family

Hey, Y'all,
Yesterday, we met to pay tribute not to the man alone, but to the life he lived among us. He lived his faith, but did not push it on anyone. One observed the kind of man he was by his actions, words, and kindness. He was a man of quiet faith, but never hesitated to speak out for what he believed in. He was certainly a good example for me and those around us. He was funny, had a dry wit, and never spoke very often. Consequently, when he spoke, people listened. Dubby could always be counted on to come out with a comment that could make me laugh aloud, and was so very much to the point. I, along with many others, will miss him.

While searching for a way to begin this posting, I thought of the scripture from Ecclesiastes 3 which begins:
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,"

For him, last Tuesday was the time for him to die, and a time for those of us left behind to mourn his passing> I know that we will continue to miss him, but we also rejoice in the fact that he is with the Lord and will continue to be.

When we had the services on Saturday, there were several who spoke of his faith in Lord Jesus Christ and from differing perspectives. We began the service with our oldest grandson, Daniel, talking about his grandpa being a man of faith and far-reaching influence, then our friend, Karen Bible, sang "On a Hill Far Away" which Dub always loved to sing, then our niece, Donna Word, gave her memories of her Uncle Dubby and told about his life as a man of God, as an uncle, as a brother to his siblings, as a son, as a husband to me. It was very touching and I don't know how she got through it. i know it was difficult for her.

Following Donna's tribute to her Uncle Dubby's life, came a eulogy by our son-in-law, Daryl, about his life as Daryl knew it, followed by "How Great Thou Art" sung by Karen, then followed by a sermon by our pastor, the Reverend J. W. Taylor.
And as Brother Taylor said, "we each preach our own funeral by the way we live our lives." He gave testimony of how he knew Dub and how much he appreciated Dub's quiet faith in God.

We then convened to the final resting place of Dub, and it was raining. Rain for a funeral makes it seem so sad, doesn't it? Although the occasion was a sober one, we knew that the body being interred was only a shell, and that the person who had once resided in that shell is residing in Heaven, rejoicing with the angels that God is omnipotent, and singing the praises of the One who died that we may have eternal life if we have accepted the sacrifice. Praise God!

When we returned to the church (which is across the street from the funeral home, we gathered together in the fellowship hall where we were able to fill our tummies with good food prepared by the ladies of the church and also we were able to reminisce about Walter (Dub) Young and his life. Both our daughters were there along with son-in-laws, grand children,great grandchildren, sister, sisters in law, nieces, nephews, grand nieces and grand nephews, friends, loved ones. It was wonderful and heart warming. I know he would have been pleased and probably surprised that so many had come to honor his life.

I took quite a few pictures but failed to get pictures of the pallbearers. My bad!
There are always things we mean to do, but fail sometimes, due to stress or oversight. I also didn't get pictures of everyone at the meal. Please forgive me friends.

I will be posting pics tomorrow or the next day. Carol is going to help me get them from my camera and saved on her computer.

I know there will be times over the next days and weeks when I will say to myself, "wait til I tell Dubby", then remember that will just have to wait. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and there will be more postings to come. That is all for now. Bye for now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure the service was a beautiful one! How blessed you are to have had such a wonderful husband! My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hello Ruby, the sevice sounded just like Gramps would have love it.
All his family and friends gathered together. As you say he is with The Lord.

I do hope you are as well as you can be and I will continue to pray for you. I know these next few week perhaps more will seem a bit strange but you're not alone.

Take care and God Bless.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

May God give you strength, Ruby. I know you will miss him even as you rejoice in his final destination.

Margie's Musings said...

I am sorry about your loss, Ruby. But I know your long time husband is out of the life he had there at the last and in a better life.

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I am glad the service was full of people important to you and Gramps. I will always keep you and your family in my thoughts and as always, I admire you and them.

Anonymous said...

I am sure he would have loved the service and all the people who paid tribute to him. Although, I did not know him personally, I am sure he was a wonderful man. I continue to pray for you and your family. Love and hugs.

Clara....in TN said...

Dear Ruby, my thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family all along. The service sounded beautiful. Gramps would have been pleased...I know! You will miss him, but think of the wonderful reunion in Heaven. Take care of yourself now and try to rest! I'm glad I got to meet you in person! Wish I could have met Dubby!

Anonymous said...

Ruby,
I've been on vacation and just got back and saw this. I'm so sorry my friend. I know you're blessed by the assurance that you will again be reunited with Gramps.
It sounds like you're surrounded by a beautiful support system of loving family and friends. We're all praying for you. Please take care of yourself.