Sunday, August 22, 2010

Finding My Way

Hey, Y'all,
It takes some getting used to, getting around my new world, but I am making it okay. Last Sunday morning, Daryl took Carol and me to church the "back way" which is to say not by freeway like they usually go because I don't really feel comfortable going that way.

On Thursday evening, Julia brought Alyssa, her and Andrew's 2 year old daughter, over to Carol's to be taken care of by the grandparents, while she went to a Bible study at a friend's house. Well, Alyssa was just getting over a virus that her whole family had had. Lots of smooching went on at Carol's house on Thursday evening (like you would expect with a two year old grandchild) and on Friday evening, Carol and Daryl came to supper at my house. I served pizza made by yours truly, along with green beans, and storebought key lime pie.

We played dominoes and had a great time. Next morning, about 4 a.m. she and Daryl woke up sick as the proverbial dogs, and later that morning she texted me and was asking if I was feeling okay. I said, sure, why? Then she proceeded to tell me she and Daryl were sick and asked me questions about where the green beans came from, and was the can dented, and maybe I shouldn't eat any of the left overs.

I told her I wasn't afraid of eating any of the left overs, and I was sure that it was all okay to eat. (She is a health inspector and can be dubious of any food that anyone prepares). I think she now realizes that it was Alyssa's germs that got her and Daryl and not my cooking. Anyway, I hope they won't be afraid to come back and eat at "mom's house" again. I have never yet made anybody sick in all my born days. Ha. Bless their hearts they don't need to be sick, especially because of Daryl's cancer, he has a low immune system and viruses are bad for both of them.

Anyway. because they were both under the weather today (hmmm, that is a strange saying, isn't it?) I decided to try the drive myself to church and made it okay, and then decided, on my way home, to stop off at the Verizon store to upgrade my cell phone, because the one I had was a used phone given to me by Mark and Allie and I was having trouble with the little ball in it (Blackberry Curve I). Anyway, I had been in that area a couple of weeks ago, and decided to stop in and upgrade.

After spending about an hour in there, I stopped at Mooyah's and had a burger and fries along with a chocolate shake. The guys cooking were not busy, so when they were fixing my burger, I saw one of them making a mustard happy face on the inside of my hamburger bun. I smiled at him and gave him a thumbs up sign, and he smiled back real big, and gave me a LOT of fries. Isn't it funny how when you smile at someone, they can't help smiling back? I just love it! I have fun wherever I go, you know? It makes for a better day for everyone, I think.

I went on out back on the road and went under the freeway to the other side and went to Target (it is right across the road from my new bank), and did some shopping there. It was four o'clock in the afternoon before I got back home, but I felt like it had been a successful day, and a really fun day. Tomorrow is plenty of time to get back to unpacking and into the week of work. Today is just for relaxing. I really enjoyed getting to church this morning. It started the day off perfectly.

I chatted online with my daughter, Teresa, for a couple of hours after I got home, and that is always enjoyable. I am feeling so much at home here now, that I can sometimes lose track of where I really am. Especially when I am at my computer or reading, I can be anywhere, because I am encapsulated in a small area and in my mind. Does that make sense to you?

Well, it is time to close out for now. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Much love to each of you, my friends. More later. Bye for now.


hunter3of11 said...

Hi Blabbin' Grammy! I'm one of Carol's fellow church librarians, commenting for the first time on here. :) Wish I'd seen you and greeted you at church this morning. Which service did you attend? I'm usually at 1st service and evening service. Maybe our paths will cross one week!
I'm glad you're settling in so well here in Texas. We tell all of our relatives that we live in Paradise!
Carly Kaemmerling (P.S. One of my brothers let me use his Google info because I don't have an account.)

Margie's Musings said...

It's good that you are adjusting so well, Ruby. Stay busy..that's my motto.

a sojourner said...

hi Ruby:)

it was pleasing to read this. so you have a "smile ministry" in Texas now. wonderful!!!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Hope all is well now within the family, you are getting along fine in your new surroundings, good for you.

Take care.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure you didn't make them sick, Ruby. Glad you are adjusting.

Grammy said...

Hi, you all,
Carly, you should get a Google account. There is no money involved, and all you have to do is sign up and make up a password, then you can comment or even do your own blog! It is really fun! I was at the second service, because I attend the early sunday school class with Carol and Daryl.

Margie, Sojourner, Yvonne, and Alex, thank you for your continued comments and encouragements,too.

Anonymous said...

Well Ruby, the stomach flu is going around here - so I'm sure if it's here, it's all over. Seems to happen about the time school starts each year.
I'm glad you're settling in. I truly look up to you and all that you're doing and the way Jesus is in the forefront of everything you post. May He continue to have His loving arms round and about you my friend.