Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Visit to Vanderbilt

/Hey, Y'all,
Early this morning, Ina Ray and I arose from our slumber and got ready to travel to Vanderbilt. We were on the road by 6 a.m. and stopped on the way about 7:30 for biscuit and gravy at a Hardee's. Yum! I am so glad my appetite is back!

We arrived at the clinic about 9:15, just in time to take advantage of the valet parking, and proceeded upstairs to the clinic in time for my appointment. We spent a few minutes with a nurse who checked my vitals (I was vital, by the way) and then we were shown into the examining room. A couple of doctors came in and checked my two incisions, yes, two. I didn't know until today that there were two of them. You see, I hadn't really seen them since they are on my side, and I have never watched the nurses changing the gauze packing in the incision.

There was an incision where the drain had been placed several weeks ago, and then removed, and that is the one that was being changed each day. It is about an inch long. Below that incision is one that had been made when he cleaned out the infection and it was several inches long and had sutures in it.

The first doctor who came in removed the sutures and placed steri strips on it. Then he removed the gauze that was packed into the upper incision. It was still open, and Dr. Wright, who had come into the room checked it and said it doesn't need packing in it anymore and would close up on its own. He placed a gauze pad over it to catch any drainage that might come out of it in the next 24 hours and told me I could shower and just clean it with soap and water. I could hardly believe it. I guess I will find out. I will just have to take his word for it right now. I told him the other incision looks like it would pop open in one place. He said, "no it won't" and Ina said, "she doesn't believe you," and he said, "I know".

I said, "Okay, if you are sure". I said, "I am one of your favorite patients, aren't I?" and he said, "yes, you are". He told me to come back in about a month. I believe I will be able to drive myself back then. I have an appointment on October 7, to go back and see him and get bloodwork done once more to check the bilirubin level. He also said that if I have any problems between now and then to contact his office, and that he is always glad to see me. I gave both the doctors a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I appreciate them so very much.

Ina and I were soon on our way home and we stopped in Crossville at an I-Hop and had breakfast for lunch. It was a treat and so very nice! We arrived back in Morristown in time for supper, and Ina took her leave and headed back to her home in Knoxville. Dear Ina! What a wonderful friend she is! I can never express what a joy it is to know her! We have been friends for over 20 years, and I value every moment we have spent together.

While we were gone today, someone asked Gramps where I was and he said, "halfway between here and Nashville, I guess". Ha. They thought that was so cute.

It is wonderful to be in a place where so many people care about what you are doing and how you are feeling! We are extremely happy and content here. As you can see, I finally got my internet connection here at Terrace Estates. Yippee!

Well, it has been a long day, and I need to head for bed soon. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for the night. Thank you again, each of you for your prayers and support! I have felt them and I know God was listening. Love to each of you! I am feeling so much better day by day. I have been getting marvelous care from every one here and from the Home Health staff who come to visit me and change my dressings in my incision. Good night to all of you. Bye for now.

4 comments:

Mom B said...

Welcome back, Mom! Glad to have you back in the (computer) saddle again! Thanks, Sis, for the updates!
Love, Carol

Barbara said...

Hi Ruby, sounds like your Dr.app. went well.I am so glad you are doing better finally.Just enjoy the good care you and Gramps are getting a the place you are at, sounds good// Have a great evening/

Clara....in TN said...

Welcome back. It sure is good to see you posting again. You may get to liking it so good there at the Terrace....you may not want to go back home. Some days, I would like to be there with you! :-)

Serbian Mink said...

Sighhhhhhhhhh....we are sooooo relieved you are on the mend. I'm ready to join ya at the Terrace...luv, a and d