Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bingo Taken Seriously Here!

Hey, Y'all,

Well, here it is Tuesday already. Today is going to be a full one. Yesterday was pretty well filled, too. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are therapy days, when Gramps and I both have physical therapy and with the help of the home health care therapist, Howard, have been strengthening our arms and legs. We really enjoy our time with Howard (who I think resembles Tennessee Ernie Ford) and who likes to joke with us and makes it a pleasurable time.


After therapy, it wasn't long until lunchtime. Mealtime here is an important occasion. Anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes before the doors open to permit us into the dining room, residents begin to gather near the doors to await the opening of the doors for entrance. I am rather sure that mealtime is one of the things that are looked forward to each day. This is rightly so, since the food is so delicious!

Another activity that is always looked forward to is the weekly game of bingo that is played in the activity room. Believe me, the residents take the game seriously. We had a new player yesterday who apparently had never played the game (can you believe that?) and did not know how to cover the numbers with the poker chips. One of the other residents was helping her know what to do and they were speaking quite audibly, since many of the residents here are hearing impaired. Other residents then (also quite audibly) were complaining about the noise the explanations were making. It was a hoot! I was lucky enough to win twice, and the lady across from me was complaining that she hadn't ever won, so I said, "here, I'll trade cards with you, and maybe you can win with my card". We traded, and then a lot of the numbers on the card I got from her started being called. She said, "now, look at that! She is going to win on that card!" Brenda, the activities director, who was calling out the numbers got tickled and just chuckled. However, the lady did win a game on the card I had traded her. Yep, these residents take the game seriously.

Today, I am going to have lunch with some teacher friends of mine. I have been retired now for fifteen years, and have not seen them very many times since retirement. They are retired as well. A beautiful life, isn't it, ladies? I look forward to spending some time with them today. More on this later.

Well, that is about it for today. I continue to improve each day, my friends. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for right now. Autumn begins today, and as you know, I had very little summer, but hopefully next year, I will be able to enjoy summer again. I have been blessed greatly, having been brought through my illness by His grace and goodness, and having such wonderful friends and supporters who have spoken to Him on my behalf, and kept me close to them in thoughts. I thank all of you again.

Love to all of you. Bye for now. More later.


2 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

Hi Grammy, It's good to see you having a good time. I know what you mean by skipping the summer. That happened to me last summer, but boy I made up for it this year. You will do the same. Have fun with your friends and enjoy the Bingo games. Do you win prizes when you bingo?

Judy said...

I was not sick and it seems summer just passed by so quickly this year! My leaves are covering the driveway this morning and it has rained every day this week here. Glad you enjoyed the bingo game. I bet it was a "hoot". Enjoy your lunch with the girls. So happy things are going well for you and Gramps.