Friday, August 5, 2011

Folded Hands





Hey, Y'all,
Well, I've been thinking about seniors and responsibilities lately. Do you have a senior adult living with you who seemingly has little or nothing to do during the day...or know someone else in that situation? Have you ever thought what it would be like to be a senior with life stretching out in front of them empty and without meaning? Don't get me wrong...that doesn't describe my situation, by any means.


I know, however, that all across our great country, the situation I have just described exists. We often think that people who are retired can just rest and not have any responsibilities any longer. 

"Now, Mom, you just take it easy and don't worry about the dishes...I've already fed little Fido, and walked him....Kitty has been fed and watered...  I've fixed lunch for you and it is in the fridge... You just watch some tevee and relax... I'll be home after work and we'll all have supper. Take a nap this afternoon and rest." 


Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Seniors don't get too old to have some responsibilities. It keeps us young and keeps us going. Folded hands are no fun.. Television doesn't challenge the brain. The picture on this page could very well be of my husband's hands after he was in the nursing home with a mending broken hip. His eyesight was too poor to read his Bible anymore, and I'm not sure how well he could even see the small tevee in his room. 


His eyesight was bad before he went to the nursing home, but he did help me around the house with gathering the trash and making his bed (and sometimes mine), stacking the dishes in the sink, and even vacuuming sometimes, and sweeping. He was really good at giving me a hug when I needed it, too. If we had had a dog, he would have taken care of it, as well. I hope he always felt like he was needed. It is important to us to be needed. It keeps us going. 


You see, I was on my way out to take a letter to the mailbox and started thinking about if I had to live with one of my children (perish the thought) and what I would do if I were beyond being able to drive, and dependent on others to take me places. I would certainly need to feel needed...you know, bring in the mail, load the dishwasher, unload and put away dishes, do a little sweeping, clean the bathrooms, do a little cooking, etc. Everyone needs to feel necessary for the happiness and well-being of someone else. Everyone needs to feel useful. 


Well, that is it from Blabbin' Grammy today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ruby, those are all valid points! We all need a purpose in life and that never diminishes with age.

Anonymous said...

Ruby,
We all need to be needed and we all need to use our gifts, talents and abilities. Age doesn't stop that desire to be needed.
My dad and mom have been told that they are too 'old' for their church to use their gifts (my mom sings southern gospel and the church is going contemporary while my dad ran the sound boards for the church for years - but now they say he doesn't give them enough volume or that they don't like the way he mixes the music). Can you imagine how they're feeling to be told that the (and their gifts) are too old to be used in God's house? Hmmm.... I wish everyone and every church could read what you wrote! Excellent points.
Hugs and blessings,
Deb

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Amen. We all need a reason to get out of bed in the morning, and we all need to feel that we still serve some kind of purpose in this world. (I will NOT go gently into the night!)

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I am a "Senior" but I am independant, without a purpose in life I may as well give up.
Have a lovely week-end.
Yvonne.

Petra said...

So true, Grammy. thanks for reminding us!

Cro Magnon said...

What a sweetheart you are. Of course we all need to be needed, and I'm sure most of us ARE. Let's all keep helping around the place until we drop!

Calfkeeper said...

I agree. My mom is headed towards age 83 now; she still works in the local grade school as a foster grandparent. It certainly gives her a purpose in life and keeps her up and going. I pray always that she can keep that up until the Lord takes her away...many more years from now.
Rebecca