Thursday, August 11, 2011

Any Talent Scouts Out There?

Hey, Y'all,
Last night I saw courage in the forms of several young people who performed in a church talent show. I have seen that kind of courage before, in fact, have done the same thing myself, so I know how it feels.

I had a great time, and I know the other members and children attending did as well. It takes a lot of inner fortitude (otherwise known as guts) to stand in front of people you know (and some you don't know) and sing, or dance or do magic tricks, or play an instrument. You run the risk of being laughed at for a bauble - forgetting words, notes, routine, etc. To keep on with your performance is bravery.

One little girl became embarrassed and stopped, but came up later and did her ballet performance, and was encouraged by our clapping and urging her on, and finished with a flourish. A little boy who was playing a recorder, played a few sour notes, slapped the side of his head, and continued till he was finished. For everyone's performance, we clapped, hollered and whistled encouragement. 

There was piano playing, singing, an accordian duet by a couple of senior ladies, comedy videos by the office staff, three guys wearing funny costumes doing the Macarina (sp?), and of course, a group of senior ladies (myself included) singing a senior version of "Jesus Loves Me". 

All of this entertainment plus homemade ice cream. Yum! All of this fun took place in the fellowship hall of our church. It was kind of a winding up of summer vacations, since school begins in about a week. Fun was had by all. However, I did not spot any talent scouts in the audience... Hmmm. 

It did make me harken back in memory to one time singing in church when I was about thirteen years old. Our church was having a singing time one Sunday evening around November, so I volunteered to sing a song that Mom had taught us kids. It was to the tune of "Yankee Doodle".  I gave this information to the pianist and expected her to know the tune, right off the bat, since after all, she played the piano and to my thinking, she should have the tune in her head, right? So, I got up there and began to sing (very fast, since I was nervous) "Thanksgiving Day has come at last, our hearts are jumpin' thumpin', we're off to Grandma's house to eat the turkey and the pumpkin'.... etc." 


Well, Tiny, the pianist, began playing but couldn't keep up with me and finally she just quit and I finished the song, a capella and sat down again in my pew, embarrassed and promised myself never to do that again. It became a family joke. Now, I am the only one who remembers it (except maybe my sister-in-law, Mae) ha ha. I just love to tell jokes even if they are on me. Still funny!

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

It's good to see the youngsters interested in performing. When young I used to play the piano and played in school concerts.

Have fun and take care.
Yvonne.

Petra said...

It's good to be able to laugh at our selves! I like entertainment and homemade ice cream too. :-)