Monday, June 27, 2011

Reflections

Hey, Y'all,
Well, I have several things to talk about this morning...Will make it fast because breakfast is calling to me via my innards. I have been up since around 5 a.m. and it is now 8:30  a.m. 

I went out to water my flower beds this morning and noticed that there is some grass growing in those in front...Going to be a hundred degrees today, but will try in a little while to get the grass pulled up before it takes hold. It is only 80 degrees right now. It won't take long to do it. Out back when I went out to water the flower bed around the bird bath, I decided to rest a couple of minutes and sat down on the bench, reflecting on the size of my home...a lot of house for just one person, but I enjoy the room and space available to me. Believe it or not, I enjoy the solitude as well. I spend a lot of time reflecting, and I don't mean looking in the mirror.

Tragedy abounds, and life does as well. There was a wreck near Rockwall over the weekend when a family's car ran into the back of a semi that was stopped in traffic. The father was killed, mother and baby died later in the hospital, and their four year old is in stable condition in the hospital. The father was a teacher, the mother an assistant principal in another school and they were young, well-loved people. 

Night before last, my daughter Carol's brother-in-law (Daryl's brother, Jimmy and wife, Jenny) lost their house to fire. Jimmy and Jenny are okay, but without a home now. Carol has driven with Daryl's sister, Vanita and her husband to Arkansas where Jimmy and Jenny live to help them in this time of tragedy. Daryl is out of touch on a mission trip in Kenya and may not yet be aware of the fire.

I would caution all those taking trips over the next couple of weeks especially, to take extra care. Traffic will be heavy and people will speed; some will be on drugs and alcohol. 

Carol was asking me the other day if I am going to do the fourth of July with them. I thought at first she was asking if I was going to come to their home for a cookout and I said "sure". She said, "Really?" I realized then that she was referring to a thing they do every year, which is go to some place out in a field (I think Boy's Ranch) to sit on folding chairs or blankets and watch fire works. It usually involves parking the car and walking a distance, carrying stuff and then fighting off the mosquitoes. NOT my kind of thing to do. I told her that on second thought, I reckon I'll just be happy to sit in my new recliner and watch the Boston Pops celebration and fireworks on tevee. Ha. I leave her kind of celebration to the younger folks. (Actually, I never did care for the outdoor stuff). 


Well, it is now nine a.m.  I will be going out with the seniors for supper this afternoon, so a late breakfast will be perfect. Blueberry pancakes, scrambled egg, and coffee will be on my plate in just about fifteen minutes. I have a murder mystery to read while I enjoy my breakfast and life is good. Amen. My cold is better; I was able to sing in the choir yesterday and teach my class in Sunday School. I was going to have lunch with Carol, but she had to head to Arkansas, so I had lunch at the Cotton Patch and no supper. It has been close to 24 hours since I have eaten, but that is okay. 


This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. More later. Bye for now.

5 comments:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I woke up before four this morning, and ended up crawling out of bed by five. I should've been enterprising like you and pulled some weeds before the sun started baking the yard. Oh well. Too late. Guess I'll have to work on my book. (breaks my heart!)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So sorry about Jimmy and Jenny's house, but glad their family is all right. And don't worry - I never travel over the Fourth of July.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hi sorry about Jimmy and Jenny's house but pleased to know all is safe. I too get up early in the morning......well most mornings.

Take care.
Yvonne.

Petra said...

So sorry about the fire and that awful wreck. Makes one reflect on the mercies of God. Either way, God is good and wise and just even when we can't see/understand it. But I rejoice that life for you is good.

I'm not planning to feed the mosquitoes to watch fireworks either.

Blessings!

Tanya said...

That is terrible about Jimmy and Jenny, at lest they were both ok . How long will carol be out helping them? Love you