Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Synchronous Fireflies

Hey, Y'all,
Have you ever heard of fireflies that flash on and off in synchronized timing? Well, it does happen each year at Elkmont campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains National Park. When we first heard about it, some of our friends at church were talking about going, and telling us how the little critters flash on and off at the same time. We joked and asked if the little fellows wore top hats and held canes as they did their dance. I could just visualize them singing "Puttin' on the Ritz" as they flashed on and off. It seems that they are doing their thing again this June during this week. If you would like to read about it go to: http://eventful.com/asheville/events/elkmont-synchronous-fireflies-mt.lecont/
It is quite fascinating and occurs not many places in the world.

Gramps was doing pretty well today and I was pleased with his progress. I don't really have a lot to talk about this evening. One day is pretty much like the one before, and some days I feel like I am just treading water. I am not a swimmer anyway. Ha ha. I get up in the morning and get ready to go to Dandridge, I sit with Gramps while he has his dinner and supper. He is eating almost everything on his plate now and I am glad, because he is getting stronger because of it. He is understanding more of what is expected of him and he always is more than ready to get back in bed when he gets a chance. I carry a book or my e-reader to read while I am there and when I eat. Sometimes we sit out in front of the nursing home, and sometimes I sit out there alone while he is having his therapy sessions. I usually leave in the middle of the day after he has eaten his lunch. Then he is ready to have therapy and I can leave without him really missing me.

He seems to be getting more able to stand with his walker and not need so much instruction on walking and that is wonderful. It gives me hope for sure. Well, I need to get to bed because morning comes early. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for tonight. Much love to each of you, my friends and family. Bye for now. More later.

4 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

Those fireflies sound pretty clever, I wonder if they would do it in time to music, that would be a show. Good to hear Gramps is doing well. :-)

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

The fireflies sound intruiging Ruby, Pleased that Gramps is progressing.
Get plent of rest yourself.
Take care.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good to hear Dubs is geting stronger.

Margie's Musings said...

You are so wonderfully attentive to Gramps. I admire that in you.