Thursday, June 24, 2010

Look Ma! No Cath!

Hey, Y'all,
Yeah, I know that is not a very couth title for today's posting, but it is exciting for Gramps and me, especially him. Yes, they removed it night before last and he has been doing well without it. I went in this morning and Rick told me that Gramps had walked into the bathroom this morning (with Rick's help) and when Rick came in to see if he was finished, there was Gramps walking from the bathroom, sans gown or anything else, flashing anyone who might be walking past the room. Ha.

By the time I arrived Gramps was getting sleepy, and then by the time lunch came, he was taking a bite of food, and then dropping his head and closing his eyes. He slept his way through lunch, taking a bite of food occasionally. I kept waking him so that he wouldn't get choked on food or liquids. Finally, I moved his tray table and helped him onto the bed and left him to sleep. I then headed to Knoxville for our movie day. We had lunch at Louis' Original Restaurant, and Mae and I wound up with enough left over spaghetti for our suppers. The movie I took with me was "Lars and the Real Girl" and it was poignant and funny. We enjoyed it tremendously, and then I took Mae home and headed on back to the nursing home, where I found Gramps was wide awake and ready to eat his supper.

I sat there and talked to him while he ate. He ate every bite of his supper and we went outside for a little while until he was ready to go back into his room. He has been becoming more cognizant of the things going on around him most of the time. He has been taking enough interest to read the Standard Banner. I showed him pictures of the home we are buying in Texas and he liked the looks of it.

We don't know if he will ever be able to live at home with me, but I know his improvements will make life easier for him anyway, regardless of where he lives. I am quite thankful for any degree of progress that he makes along the way.

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. We are having thunderstorms tonight, and I am glad for that. I love to hear the rain, don't you? I am quite excited, because one of my blogger friends who has been a long time reader is coming to visit me in person on July 2, while she is visiting her grandson's in Blaine. Her name is Clara and she writes a blog called "Clara's Corner".

Also I am excited because my daughter, Teresa and husband, Tom, are coming from Alabama to visit us on July 4th. Yay! Good things come to those who wait.

Signing off for now. More later. Much love to each of you, my friends. Bye for now.

9 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful news Ruby, hope things continue to progress with Gramps.

Yvonne.

Margie's Musings said...

Great news, Ruby. I am so happy things are looking up for you and Gramps.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

More great news, Ruby!

Anonymous said...

Hi Grammy, I am so glad to hear about Gramps improvement and so envious of you and Clara. I would love to meet you both and if I lived closer would be right there with Clara. I hope you two have a great visit. July sounds like it is going to be a busy month for you. Have a great weekend.

Clara....in TN said...

Anxiously waiting for the second. Don't you do one extra thing because I am coming. I mean it! You have enough to handle right now. I just cna't let you move without meeting you!

unnamed lad said...

this is wonderful to read!:) i love watching/shooting the storms as they come in. got a lot of photos of storms. but i also love the sound of the rain too. i even enjoy the smells when it stops... hope you and Clara have a wonderful time together! have a great weekend, Ruby!

azdarlene said...

Hey Ruby,
Glad Dub is getting a whole lot better. That is comfort to you. Hope you enjoy your visit with Teresa and Tom.
Love you all
Darlene and Mark

Barbara said...

I know Clara will never forget meeting you.When I met you it was like meeting a long lost friend.And on top of that you felt like family.You almost are,since you are my sister's sister-in-law.lol.I know Imazo will miss you so much when you move.Love ya Ruby

Patricia Stoltey said...

How wonderful that you'll get to meet up with one of your blogger friends. It's amazing how close we can get to some of our visitors without ever seeing them in real life. I hope you and Clara have a great time.