Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Events From Last Two Days

Hey, Y'all,
Yesterday, Gramps was a little bit more awake than on Sunday, and I had my meeting with the Department of Family Services that oversees the Medicaid services. I had a lovely time talking with DeeDee, the specialist who filled out the numbers for my application. I came away feeling quite positive about the whole procedure.

I had a really difficult time finding the office, however, because it is kind of tucked away in a location away from the road. My appointment was for 2:30 and I had left the nursing home at about 1 p.m., not knowing exactly where to find the place. The temperature was hot as blue blazes, and so I went downtown (a really,really small area) and stopped at the driver's license place to ask where the office was and got a general idea. I then went on down a little farther on Meeting Street, and stopped at the Subway to eat some lunch. I carried my book in with me, and had a sandwich and got cooled off, as I read and ate.

A little later, I began the quest again, heading back the way I had come (towards the Dollar Store which was one of the references given to me by Mr. Farrar in the Driver's License office. I stopped at the Dollar store and was given the cold shoulder by the clerk (brrrrrrrrrrrr - that should have cooled me off but just made me hotter). I went outside and a very kind lady told me where to go, and it was just one building away. So, I arrived just about 20 minutes before my appointment time.

I arrived back at the nursing home about 4 p.m. and saw that Gramps was actually more awake than he had been earlier. He had had some therapy while I was gone, and actually talked to me some when I got back. We watched some television and then it was his supper time. I had to leave after that, and a storm had been brewing outside. By the time I arrived home, the storm was ready to erupt, and erupt it did, just as I pulled into the garage.

Last evening was the regular evening for our neighbors to come to supper, and they nearly got soaked before they could get into their truck and to our house. Laurie had prepared the roast and potatoes and I did the green beans and texas toast. It was all really delicious, and then we had brownies for dessert and played dominoes. It was great fun! I just had a brownie and milk for dessert tonight, as well.

This morning when I went in, Gramps was still in bed, scrunched down and half way down in the bed like so many of the patients are in the mornings. He had not eaten much breakfast, and did not eat a lot of lunch either. He was somewhat uncommunicative when I took him outside this morning, but he did tell me some wild stories which I won't repeat here, and I nearly cracked up laughing.

Our nieces, Rachael and Jessie came to visit and brought Jessie's little girl, Kyah, with them. She was enchanted by the nursing home cat who wanders around the nursing home. Then we went to look at the birds in the cage just behind the nurses station. Kyah is about 18 months old and a darling, funny child. Soon after they left, it was time for Gramps to get up and have his supper, which he ate pretty well. They told me this morning that he has lost 7 pounds in the last week. He is down to 148 pounds, and beginning to look really skinny. His therapist told me this afternoon that unless he begins to loosen up his hamstring muscles, he is never going to walk again. He sleeps with his knees bent, and sits with his knees bent as well.

Well, this is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. I need to get into bed, and get a good night's sleep. Much love to each of you. Bye for now. More later.


unnamed lad said...

good night, Ruby:) geta good nights rest...

myletterstoemily said...

dear grammy,

you are such an inspiration of hope,
hard work, and charm. even though
you are enduring a terrible situation,
you seem to take it in stride with such

bless you, and i pray you sleep with
the knowledge that He sing over you.


Arlee Bird said...

That hot weather doesn't sound so good to me. But the rain sounds kind of nice. I guess it's been getting into the 80's here, but it's not humid and cools off nicely at night.

Keep hanging in there.

Tossing It Out


Hello Ruby you take good care of yoyrself.

Thinking about you both.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Get tough on him, Ruby.

And I hate the hot weather.

Barbara said...

Hope today will be a good day for you both,hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Glad you finally found the office. I used to work in an office like that here in Kentucky for years. Hope Gramps continues to improve and stays awake more and gains some weight back. I know you always enjoy your neighbors visiting. Sounds like a fun evening. We have 93 percent humidity here today. I don't ever remember it like this so early in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Praying that you're having a better day. Asking God to guide you through all the 'red tape' and the decisions you have to make.