Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Almost New Year's Day

Hey, Y'all,
Today I'm posting some pictures of some recent "stuff". The top picture is of the birdbath in the back yard with winter pansies planted around it. Last week, Carol and Daryl took me to Lowe's to pick up some garden soil and bricks. I had gone to Lowe's a couple of days earlier to get the pansies. When we got home from Lowe's, they unloaded the 40 bricks and the two bags of dirt into my garage.

Yesterday, I began the task of moving the bricks and dirt to the back yard. I did this by carrying 5 bricks at a time through the house, and out the back door to the birdbath. That took a while and quite a bit of energy, and strength, which I am very limited on. Not the time, but the energy and strength. A couple of hours later, I had placed the bricks the way I wanted them, and was ready to move the big bags of dirt out to the backyard. That took some more energy and strength, but I was determined to accomplish my goal (planting the pansies before the afternoon was gone). Do you know how to move a huge bag of dirt without carrying it? You simply take a corner in each hand, and walk it like you would a year old baby, scooting one corner, and then the other, til you have moved it from point A to point B.

I had my bath stool to sit on, (the length of the legs can be adjusted to the correct height to sit comfortably on,) and I cut open the bags and scooped the dirt out of them into the flower bed, and then proceeded to plant the flowers. Voila! Within another hour's time, I had planted my flowers, and the task was completed.

Another of the pictures is of the gift basket brought to me last week by one of the associate pastors at our church, welcoming me to the church community. The other picture is of the new kitchen hutch that I purchased at the Antique store when Dot came to visit me a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't it look wonderful?

Today is a cold, rainy day, but not bad since I am warm and cozy inside my home. This morning, I have been busy. I did three loads of laundry and put them away, and I have also done some "farming" on my Farmville farm. Ha. I also did my fingernails, which always makes me feel better. Nothing like a manicure to make one feel good. I had a pretty good night's sleep as well. This afternoon, I'll be going to Carol's for supper, and I always enjoy that. A good friend, Judy, sent me a new red billfold, and I changed my credit cards and insurance cards, etc. into it. It will take less space in my purse than the credit card holder I was using. Now, if I could just get my papers filed in my filing cabinet, and a few other things done, it would be nice. Ha. Just a little bit at a time gets it done eventually, doesn't it?

My grandkids gave me a beautiful new ceiling fan for Christmas, and it was a real surprise. I was only expecting a season pass to the theater from them, so I was really flabbergasted to see something not on the Giftster list that we used. They are very good at listening to things that are mentioned during the year. (I had mentioned the fact that my dining room was really warm and the only room without a ceiling fan, when they were here after my Dubby's funeral). Ha. They are good, aren't they? My grandson, Matt, is going to install it for me. He is very handy with such things!

Well, it is supposed to rain all night tonight into tomorrow morning, but at least we can be very thankful about not being blanketed with snow, like they have in the east. Brrrrrrrrrr! How bad would that be? I guess I need to take down Christmas stuff tomorrow, not that there is a lot of it to do. Just a couple of small fiberoptic trees and the lights on the hedges near the front door, along with a wreath hanging near the door. That would be it.

That is about it for today. I'm still in my gown tail and housecoat. A shower for me in a little bit, and getting dressed to go to Carol's for supper. Much love to each of you, my good friends and family. This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for today. Hope you are doing okay, today, Teresa. Praying for you and Tom always. You are never far from my thoughts. Love, Mom, and Ruby. Bye for now. More later.


Unknown said...

Love the hutch and the winter flowers. What a lot of work that was for you! It's good to get out and get some exercise though, isn't it? I wonder if you were sore after all that exercise? I've slept most of today and have done a little farming (lol) but not so much. Tomorrow will begin the really hard hitting part and last about three days. I'll try to do the blog some time tomorrow so you know how it's going. Love you bunches!

Grammy said...

thanks, Babe! Glad you were able to do a little today. Love you too. Mom


A really lovely post Ruby,
I wish you a Happy New Year, this year has seen many changes for you but you are an inspiration to us all.
Good Bless.

Anonymous said...

Well you have been a busy lady haven't you?
It's so nice to see actual living flowers this time of year. I can't imagine what that's like. We are in the midst of a very cold and snowy winter and we won't see flowers till late March/April. :(
I'm so glad you are surrounded by family members to love on you and help you. What a blessing huh?
Hugs and blessings,

Serbian Mink said...

i covet the hutch, Tia...

Tanya said...

sounds like a fun Christmas. We miss you and love you bunches...Happy New Year!!

Margie's Musings said...

Your "stuff" looks great, Ruby!

Patricia Stoltey said...

It was great fun reading about your adventures in gardening. My part of the country is finally getting its first real blast of winter with snow and dropping temperatures. I guess a white New Year's Eve is almost as good as a white Christmas.

I'm also keeping Teresa in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she's doing well.