Saturday, February 16, 2013

When a Person Is 79 and Lives Alone

It's a funny thing, but I had always heard about when people live alone, they do a lot of talking to themselves, but didn't really think much about it. Now, I know it to be true, because now I do it all the time. Some of the remarks I make to the television are really humorous, too, but no one else can hear them, so they are almost wasted. After all, if they can't be appreciated by anyone else, why should I even make them?  Ha!

Actually, though, I know that I'm not going to stop because I enjoy my own humor too much to stop.

Anyone who knew my family was aware that we all enjoyed a good story or a good joke. People liked hearing my dad tell a joke or a funny story and he was good at it. He had a quick retort to anyone's comment. He also laughed at his own jokes right along with those listening to them.

What prompted me to write this post today was a remark I made to a tv commercial for a thermal patch for the aching back. It showed knots in cords in the aching back. I remarked, "Ah, so that's what the knots in my back look like!"  Now you may not think that is funny, but I thought it was at the time.

What a fun time I have at my place!

4 comments:

D.G. Hudson said...

If you can see humor in the mundane, especially tv commercials, then you are most likely a happy person.

I bet it is fun at your house, I saw those party photos last year.

Grammy said...

Thanks, D.G. I am a pretty happy person, mostly. Ruby

Anonymous said...

My dad had a wicked sense of humour as well....and he was merciless with it.

Grammy said...

My Dax's humor was a gentle one. Back when he was in school, he only went as far as the 8th grade and said he always spent recess talking to the girls because the boys played too rough. That was back in the early 1900's.