Thursday, April 29, 2010


Hey, Y'all,
First let me say "welcome" to those who have become readers and followers of my blog over the past few weeks. How rude of me not to have said so before. I appreciate each of you coming over here to my house and chatting with me. Thank you all for having 'conversations' with me.

I once heard it said that "Today is yesterday's tomorrow" and thought about how very apropos it is. Ya know, if we thought about what we are doing each day, we wouldn't have to regret our yesterdays, would we?

But, wait, let me tell you about my yesterday that just took place. Oh...that is what I do most days, isn't it? Ha. Yesterday morning, I was up early posting my "X" entry, and then put the final touches on Brooke Renee's baby quilt so I can mail it on Friday. She is our newest great grand-child and lives in Texas. After I finished that, I got Gramps up and we had breakfast. He decided he did need a shower before going to The Terrace Estates in Morristown (thank goodness) even though he usually gets two showers a week and had just had one two days earlier. So he did his shower with just minimal assistance from me. I had laid out his clothing for him and while he got dressed, I did my ablutions for the day.

When we had both finished dressing, I called my neighbor and the two boys came down and we loaded up the car with belongings that Gramps would need while in the assisted living facility. I gave them a hug and thanked them, Gramps came out, and we locked the door and were on our way. We chatted as we went and before long we were there. Gramps said, "That didn't take long!" "No," I replied, "we actually live only about 15 miles from here"

I kept reassuring him that he would only be there a couple of weeks, and then I would be returning to pick him up. Bless his heart. He was worried about someone getting into his stuff while he was gone up there, and I told him I would lock his bedroom door. He did not want to go to Texas with me for our youngest grandson's wedding out there, so I had no choice but to have him where he could be looked after. Don't worry about our house, someone will be watching after it for us.

It seems his mental faculties are declining more rapidly over the past few weeks. More and more I am becoming his Aunt Lula. He somehow believes that I am already in Texas and that she is looking after him. I was introduced by him to someone yesterday as his aunt.

After we arrived there, I took him in and he sat down in the living room area with the other residents who were seated and rolling a huge inflated plastic ball around doing 'exercises'. I went on with the person on desk duty, Cheryl, and we went down the hall to the nurses' station to give her the insulin for his shots each day. I saw several people with whom I became friends while we were there last fall, for my recuperation from surgery, and, of course, had to hug them. (I am big on hugging, you know) Never waste an opportunity to give someone a hug, you never know when it might make the big difference in a day.

Cheryl helped me unload the car and get it into the room, Mark, the custodian, got the television set up for Gramps and also some other things done to the room and we talked about people we know and I found out that he was married to one of my former students at Alpha School back a long time ago. I also saw Tricia, who was my home health care nurse while I was there at the Estates. It was like old home week for me. I also saw Jennifer, the beautician, and enjoyed hugging and talking with both of them. It may not have been too great for Gramps, but I take enjoyment very seriously.

After we had lunch, I unpacked for him and told him where everything was a couple of times, and then hugging and kissing him goodbye I took my leave, and headed for home. On the way home, I made a couple of stops and saw Judy's mama, and then later I saw Judy at the church where she is the secretary. Just as soon as I got home, the phone rang, and it was a former student from 44 years ago, that calls me occasionally for help with his son's homework. His son, Taylor, is in the 8th grade this year and taking Algebra. Of course, it has been 62 years since I had algebra , so I really have to reach back for it. I never taught it, so it has to be in the back recesses of my memory. I tutored Taylor for the first couple of years of his schooling. I love those boys and of course, David, as well. (Taylor has a younger brother, Chad).

Anyway, after supper, I worked on making signs for each table for our church's Festival of Tables coming up on Saturday. More about that later. My goodness, this epistle is getting too long. Let's just say, I went to bed about 10:30 and leave it at that. You don't want to hear about any more (if you have gotten this far, even. ha).

This is Blabbin' Grammy signing off for now. A lot to do today. Much love to each of you, my friends, and I'll see you later. Bye for now.


Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a great way of looking at yesterdays!


Hi Ruby another wonderful post, my haven't this month flown by.Tomorrow is Z, not many of them around.
I had tears in one part of your post when you wrote about you being big on hugging, as you never know when one may need a hug during the day, apart from my son and daughter I am hugless and I've only jut realised it,
Hope Gramps will be fine a few weeks will soon pass.
Until tomorrow.
Take care.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I stink at Algebra. I'll probably have to hire a tutor for the kids when they start it.

Jan said...

You had an incredibly busy day!

Unknown said...

Hi Ruby! That sounds like a very busy day indeed. I'm glad you got Gramps off ok and he is settled in at the care center. It's nice that you know some of the staff and other people there, should make things more comfortable for you leaving him there.

How wonderful that you are willing to help your former student's kids out. What a generous heart!

I am a big hugger too, just love them. And you're right, you just never know when it could really turn someone's day around. That plus a great smile can do wonders!

Have a blessed day my friend!

unnamed lad said...

hi Ruby:)

...a new follower. i see some familiar faces here so i know i'm going to enjoy this new venture. thank you for stopping by and leaving comments in recent days. unlike dad didn't go willingly to the nursing home, not in the least. you seem to adapt quite well to whatever circumstances our Lord God puts you in. what a great testimony of faith.

Anonymous said...

Hi Grammy, I am glad your doctor said everything was looking good for you and also enjoyed your "X" post. Sounds like you enjoyed your trip back to the assisted living home. I am sure Gramps will be fine while you are gone. Have a good weekend.

Lisa said...

Hi Ms. Ruby,
You could have gone on and on and I would have continued reading. I really enjoy your posts. :)

I'm a big hugger too. I got fussed at once by my Sales Manager for hugging clients. But they liked it, or seemed to!

I hope you have a relaxed next two weeks knowing Gramps is in good hands.

Have a great evening!

Gregg Metcalf said...

That was a busy day! Hope "Gramps" does well while you are gone. Great testimony you have with your care an concern.

Marjorie said...

Well, that was a busy day! I alway reading every bit of your posts. I hope Gramps doesn't feel too homesick.

Cheri Chesley said...

Wow. My yesterday pales compared to yours. You're amazing, Ruby!

ModernDayDrifter said...

You had a busy day indeed! I like your outlook with the quote about yesterdays. That's a positive way to look at things. I hope your evening has slowed down after such a hectic day and I hope you have a blessed tomorrow! :)

Ella said...

I agree, you are very adaptable, Go with the flow Grammy! I am sorry to hear, how Gramps thinks you are his Aunt, it must be hard! It is a a real tribute,to have someone call and ask for your help! I bet you were a wonderful teacher!

Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like Gramps is in real good hands, but I hope he'll be okay with it. I really admire you, Ruby, the way you just keep dealing with everything so optimistically. You've got a lot of responsibility because you've got a whole passle of people who care a lot about you. And those students after 40-some years--that is something. You have a wonderful trip!

May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post

myletterstoemily said...

goodness, you live very active and
full days! i couldn't possibly keep
up with you. :)

you have quickly become such an
inspiration to me, and i am going
to get my girls to visit here!

Grammy said...

Hey, Y'all,
Thank you for all the sweet comments. Gramps is okay with being in the assisted living facility. He knows it is only going to be for a short time. It is a little after midnight and I am headed for bed. Another busy day tomorrow. :) Better that than to sit around being bored out of my skull, you know. Gonna get some sleep now. Been sneezing my silly head off for awhile. I am going to stick it back on and go to bed. Good night you sweet people!