Friday, May 8, 2015

Commercial-a-holic

Is that not really a word?

No matter! For more than seventy some odd years, I've loved hearing and after the advent of television, seeing commercials.

They were on often enough for me to commit many of them to memory to such a degree that I still can sing the ones from my childhood, such as the "Cream of Wheat " ditty that sponsored "Let's Pretend",  which portrayed fairy tales back in the 1940's. The stories they acted out introduced the world of fantasy to me.

There were commercials that promoted cigarettes, such as the fellow named Johnny, a little person who had a big voice, and shouted, "Call for Philip Morrrris!"

Among the commercials that I have really enjoyed over the past few years are those promoting the insurance company called GEICO!

Some people find commercials irritating and time consuming. I just consider them to be another form of entertainment.

What about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite often the commercials are more entertaining than the show you are watching. There is one out now for dog food and it is hilarious...the dog is taling with its mouth full (that's what she had for supper....a cheese stick and a cracker)...cracks me up every time.

Blabbin' Grammy said...

Haven't seen that one. Have you ever seen the doggy dentures one? Hilarious, too.

Anonymous said...

Yes that is a good one. I like the penguin that wants to fly as well.

diedre Knight said...

I agree, some are better than the show that's playing. But my grandson heaved a heavy 5 yr old sigh one day and said "Do you know they just played eleven commercials?!"