Thursday, February 18, 2016

Day 21 - Cecee's Adventures

Miss Ally lifted her eyebrows in reply, then asked, "Do you often 'bop people on the head?'"

I looked at her with some fear that she was going to tell on me.

"Only when they make fun of me, or something like that. It is the only way I can defend myself."

"Well, I agree that it was not nice of them to tease you, but sometimes it is better to just ignore remarks that people may make. After all, why do you suppose they even bother teasing you?"

"Gee, I don't know. They like to make me mad?"

"See if next time you can just ignore them. They will soon tire of it and find someone else to pester. It will make you stronger inside."

I looked at her kind face. She really did seem to care. Once again, I wished she were my teacher.

"Where are you going? Do you know where you are headed, Cecee?"

"All I know is that it is a big ranch, and we are going to live there forever! My Papa is going to see his brothers; my Uncle Cash and another uncle. I have never met them, though. Where does your brother live?"

"It is a little town not too far from Waco, Texas. I may get a job teaching there."

About that time, Mama woke up and looked across from where she was sitting, then  looked alarmed.
She looked around frantically and then saw me sitting next to Miss Ally, then let out her breath, and pointed her finger at me, frowning.

Miss Ally smiled across at her and said, "Please don't be angry with Cecee! She has been keeping me from being bored with this long journey!"

Mama sat back then, and smiled at Miss Ally.

Rising, Mama came over and took me by the hand.

"I think, perhaps, we need a ladies' room break, Cecee. Excuse us, Miss Ally."

I looked back at Miss Ally as Mama and I left the car.


No comments: