Thursday, February 11, 2016

Day 20 -Cecee's Adventures

A little later that day, after we had eaten our lunch, an apple, I noticed Mama was sleeping, so I gave a finger wave at the school teacher.

Smiling at me, in return, she motioned that I could come over and sit next to her.

When I complied, she began the conversation by asking where we were all going.

"We're going to Texas to live on a big ranch. I'm going to learn how to do lots of stuff, like riding a horse, and roping a cow!"

"Really!?"

"Yes! Ain't that what they do on ranches in the west?"

"Isn't that what they do..."

"Yeah, that's what I said... Ain't it?"

She chuckled and said, "That's what I've heard. So, you've already decided to do that. Very commendable of you, my dear!"

"My name is Cecee. What's yours?"

"I'm Miss Allyson McGhee, but you may call me Miss Ally."

"Would you tell me what grades you teach, Miss Ally? And about where you live?"

"Well, if you really want to know, I teach all the way from First through Eighth Grades. I live in a little town on the outside of Memphis. Now, please tell me some more about you and your family. Do you like school? Do you make good grades?"

"Hmmm. Well, I passed to the third grade. When I first began school, I was so short, I had to sit on some school books to reach the desk top for writing on my slate. My brothers teased me and asked if I had found a new way to learn."

She smiled.

"What was your answer? "

"I banged them on the head with one of my books."





No comments: